Is my bearded dragon too young to go into Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It looks good --- keep offering food and make sure he is hydrated - he wont eat if hes dehydrated- the CHE only needs to be on if your tank is falling below 65 at nite - you dont want temps to hot at nite they like it cool and dark to sleep

indianaryan

Original Poster
I was able to take a stool sample up to the vet today...no parasites. So that's good. Perhaps the new T5 UVB light will start to help the dragon get an appetite again.

indianaryan

Original Poster
I took the dragon to the vet today and they are concerned about impaction, though the vet said she could not feel anything. She said that I was feeding it too many crickets and roaches at a time (20 small ones, smaller than between the eyes). I thought that was strange but maybe she's right. She wanted an xray but that is very expensive so I declined. The dragon still eats and poops, just not very much. So I'm doubtful that's the issue but who knows.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your dragon is not impacted if he's pooping-hes going thru relocation stress- give him some time your basking temps and correctly placed uvb will help w/ him eating 20 dubias is good - you need to start feeding him salads now-- get some BSFL great staple feeder for babies-- DO NOT dust order large use as many as you want on the salads add in front of him first thing in the morning before the staple feeder- sounds like you need a new vet if she's / he is telling you 20 dubias is too many- did they do an enema-- I hope not

indianaryan

Original Poster
Yeah I am not happy about this vet. I barely got to talk to her and of course had to talk to her over the phone because of Covid. Oh btw the vet thinks the dragon is a she, but I'm not sure if I can trust her about that. The dragon (Beardsley) did not get an enema. I was given medicine to take home and give to Beardsley: Lactulose, Calcium Glubionate Syrup, and Oxbow Critical Care. And I'm supposed to see the vet again in 2 weeks, though I may skip. I think she just needs more time to get out of this funk, and perhaps she is still trying to go into Brumation. I just don't know. It's just very strange that she isn't at all interested in crickets or Dubia roaches right now. Her weight has been study at least in the past week. I weighed her at 200 (with the tail not completely on the scale) and the vet said she was at 210. So that's good at least.

I have given her BSFL before and she loved them. That's a good idea. I will order some more and see if she'll eat them. They are just such a pain to get the sawdust off of.

Anyway, I'm going to be going out of town on Thursday, and I have someone watching Beardsley while me and my family are gone. I can't expect her to give Beardsley the medicine, and I wonder if she should get any anyway. I'll keep you updated and thanks so much for helping. If you haven't seen already, I have started to build her a new enclosure that is 24" wide x 30" tall x 48" long. I have a thread going in the DIY section which I will update with pictures as I make progress. I have the box made and am now trying to decide what I want to do for the glass front.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I am flagging post to Tracie she can help you w/ the medical stuff

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you've made good adjustments on the lighting and your dragon should be fine. He's sturdy enough to go on a little hunger strike and nap time so no need to worry. He doesn't need anything the vet prescribed, calcium may be helpful but he'll be fine if your pet sitter can't give get him to take it. He's pooing on his own and doesn't need the Lactulose. Just give him time and he'll be fine. If you want to post a pic to sex him, just pose him like in this article. Scroll down the article a bit to see the pics.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

indianaryan

Original Poster
AHBD":2bos70tt said:
Hi there, you've made good adjustments on the lighting and your dragon should be fine. He's sturdy enough to go on a little hunger strike and nap time so no need to worry. He doesn't need anything the vet prescribed, calcium may be helpful but he'll be fine if your pet sitter can't give get him to take it. He's pooing on his own and doesn't need the Lactulose. Just give him time and he'll be fine. If you want to post a pic to sex him, just pose him like in this article. Scroll down the article a bit to see the pics.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Thanks for the reply! You are probably right and I've asked for the vet to give me a call so I can talk to her some more.

Here is a picture I took of Beardsley:

110702-968462890.jpg

It's hard for me to tell anything from this picture, because I'm not seeing much of anything yet. It looks closer to the example picture of a male to me, but if there are two bulges, they aren't very big yet.

indianaryan

Original Poster
Ok good to know! Further indication that this trip to the vet was a waste of time. I wish I had stopped at the test for parasites, but they really didn't want to do that without a visit to the office.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree with AHBD, your dragon is a male, thought young, but you can see the bulges that
are developing.
Has he lost any weight lately? The vet didn't do a fecal test on him or was one done? I think
that once the lighting gets adjusted a little more that his behavior will most likely turn around &
he will start to do better.

Tracie

indianaryan

Original Poster
Drache613":2ve6anqe said:
Hello,

I agree with AHBD, your dragon is a male, thought young, but you can see the bulges that
are developing.
Has he lost any weight lately? The vet didn't do a fecal test on him or was one done? I think
that once the lighting gets adjusted a little more that his behavior will most likely turn around &
he will start to do better.

Tracie

Thanks for the reply. He has not lost weight since I started weighing him a week ago, but I'm not sure about before that. The vet did a fecal test and it came back negative. I'll keep weighing him to make sure he isn't losing weight and hopefully he will start to get his appetite back.

indianaryan

Original Poster
I'm here for another update. Beardsley is still sleeping in his cave but he is getting out late morning almost every day. His appetite isn't quite back to normal, but the black soldier fly larvae came in, and for the first time in a while he ate without me hand-feeding him. I was happy to see that he was eager to eat those. I have also been feeding him mustard greens and he'll eat some, not a lot. He isn't touching the rep-cal pellets still.

He went 2 weeks without pooping but then he had two in the past 5 days. So I think things are starting to get back to normal again. Also his weight has somehow gone up a bit since I first weighed him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep feeding him it sounds like hes starting to come around - as long as hes eating pooping basking and not losing weight hes good- and w/ him gaining weight that is even better -- keep him hydrated as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom