New Enclosure - Seeking Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossinn

Hello,

I have to imagine this is a question that has been asked before, but I didn't see it in a quick glance at topics:

I like the pvc style enclosures, but the makers I've found online appear to be severely backlogged (6-8 weeks). In researching, I came across the Carolina Custom Enclosures, which appear to have a quality design (from my beginner eye). My questions are:

- Are the Carolina Customs adequate for the needs of a dragon?

- Even though it looks like 48x24x24 is the most widely recommended minimum size, is it possible to have a happy and healthy dragon in a 48Lx18Wx24H enclosure? I may be able to fit 48x24x24, but the 18"W would fit better.

Thank you,

Hossinn

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have you looked at the Zen Habitats and there have a been a few on here that have the Carolina cages- I have two Zens

Hossinn

Original Poster
I like the Zen Habitats very much, but the wait time is difficult because I’m excited to get started...?

Hossinn

Original Poster
Are the Zen Habitats (and/or other pvc style enclosures) “better” than the old school glass enclosures (i.e. Carolina Customs), or just personal preference (some people prefer the modern pvc look and I’m guessing they’re lighter)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes they are lighter and they are warmer than the glass- I really like mine

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have firsthand experience with them, but the Carolina Custom enclosures have a good reputation. While having a wider enclosure is probably better, if 18'' is a better fit, it will work. I have a 36x18x18 and it doesn't impede movement or anything like that.

Hossinn

Original Poster
Thank you. I was afraid if I went 18" deep I would get ridiculed for not giving dragon enough space to turn around. Sounds like it should be okay. I would prefer 24" but I don't think I have the space...

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I'd measure it out. When it comes right down to it, both Carolina Customs and Zen are good companies with good reputations. If you have to do an 18", go for it... it's just 6" of space, when you come right down to it... but I love my Zen 4'x2'x'2' and found it worth the wait. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My dragon can definitely turn around without issue in an 18'' Exo Terra. More space is better, but it doesn't inhibit movement for him at all.

Hossinn

Original Poster
Hello. I'm trying to get my enclosure ready to house a dragon. The first problem I've run into is that the top of the log is only reaching 86 degrees. I'm using 2x GU10 75W bulbs that are located 8" away from the top. Any ideas?

full

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep swap out that log for the piece you have on the opposite side of the tank --- take it and lay it down w/ the big stick part layed on the floor w/ the big truck part under the basking light-- I think its the same piece I have in my two tanks it works great for getting ambient temps and my dragons love that piece - they use it to sit on lay on lay against or lay under it ---

Hossinn

Original Poster
I moved the items, but I'm still not able to get over 85 degrees. The distance is about 10".

I'm not sure if this fixture (Carolina Custom) can handle over 75W, or if I need to somehow elevate the wood item. If my distance is too high, I'm wondering if I should have purchased a 18"H enclosure...

110754-3115939317.jpg

110754-5532741500.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to lower the UVB -- it looks to high-- if your basking bulbs are connected to the fixture please disconnect them --- the UVB needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- you have a good piece sitting under the basking bulb -- I have the same piece I want you to lay it down tho so that big stick part that sticking up in the air is on the floor of the tank and the big trunk part is under the basking bulb - its going to give a gradient heat set up that way but you need to lower the UVB -- 12-15 inches please

Hossinn

Original Poster
I hear you, and appreciate your feedback. I'm happy to flip the basking decor the other way.

I wish I didn't need to lower the UVB. I guess I'll need to hang it with plastic ties, which is not optimal for the set up (aesthetics). Again, it makes me question my decision to purchase a 24"H enclosure, if I need to rig the lighting fixture to be lower...

I guess the other option is to purchase some sort of basking platform that is higher than the current decor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom