Bearded Dragon Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icoleman2000

I came home around 30 minutes ago to find my beardie in the corner of his cage. He has his mouth slightly open and his tongue is sticking out a bit. He is still alive but almost unresponsive. His front legs will occasionally twitch and he will sometimes open his mouth further and then close it. He doesn’t seem to react to my touch. He hasn’t been eating as of last week or so and the same goes for using the bathroom. We recently had a snowstorm that knocked our power out for over a week so we had to put him in a smaller tank and take him somewhere else. I figured he wasn’t eating because of the stress of multiple moves on top of him shedding around his head at the same time. I’m really worried about him. All of the lighting/heating is adequate and he has constant access to water. I have no idea what to do. He is on a loose substrate so could he potentially be impacted? I also didn’t have access to the calcium supplement for around 2 weeks due to forgetting it at home. Could that also be the issue? I would appreciate all the help you guys can give me.

Also, several hours ago I gave him some fresh water in his bowl and he immediately ran over and drank some and then soaked in it for a couple minutes. Don’t know if that could help or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like he was dehydrated but can you please tell me what exactly your using for a UVB? coil or a tube -- and your basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? We always ask this questions to get that ruled out--- is the UVB on top of the tank or inside the tank ---

Icoleman2000

Original Poster
KarrieRee":12zoqb6i said:
Sounds like he was dehydrated but can you please tell me what exactly your using for a UVB? coil or a tube -- and your basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? We always ask this questions to get that ruled out--- is the UVB on top of the tank or inside the tank ---

I just use a basic temperature dial and it reads the ambient temperature to be around 90 degrees. I don’t have a temperature gun so I cant say the exact temperature of his basking rock but he has several layers of branches and rocks to climb in if he wants to be closer to the lights. He was basking on the branch earlier today. I have a proSOL 30” lighting fixture with about 5 50 watt halogen bulbs in it.

If he is dehydrated, should I take him out of the tank and let him soak in some warm water now or just let him lay there and check on him later?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am gonna say it might be the pro sol your using-- I have asked 2 others on here to look at your post-

Icoleman2000

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zzyhyv0 said:
I am gonna say it might be the pro sol your using-- I have asked 2 others on here to look at your post-

Thank you. Bossk seems to have stopped twitching and seems to be completely unresponsive. I reached my hand underneath him and he didn’t react at all to it. I don’t think it’s looking good for my buddy. I would appreciate all of the insight I can get.

SPandS

Juvie Member
You're using 5 50bwatts bulbs? That sounds like an awful lot. Does he have anyplace to get away from the heat? The fact that he drank a bunch of water and soaked in the dish seems to me he is over heated. Please get a proper thermometer and get an accurate temperature.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, it doesn't sound like he is doing very well. Is he still breathing on his own
or is his beard dark right now?
I would not leave him unattended if you are soaking him in a warm bath. I am not sure what
could be the issue could be. If he had trouble when you lost power if he got too cold, etc that
could have started some problems.
Are you able to get him to a vet, or is he still with you?
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Icoleman2000

Original Poster
Hey guys I appreciate the help you guys were able to give. Unfortunately he passed away last night. There is no vet near me that sees reptiles so that wasn’t an option. I think by the time that I noticed something was wrong it was already too late. But I’m thankful for the responses you guys were able to give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom