Acting unusual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackmitchell943

Hi so I’ve had Iris for 8 months and she has just began acting strange last week, she hasn’t pooped yet for about 2 weeks??? And I know this is worrying however I do not think she has impaction as she has no symptoms that could show it? Although she is on a sand substrate it could be possible, She will still run around my room when she’s out of her cage. She also is not eating greens although she may eat maybe one or 2 pieces of lettuce or pear when I feed it to her however most the time she will lick it and then not eat it after (she may be eating some lettuce when I am not looking tho) also she has a slightly sunken eye lid drooping down on her left eye? And she has also been acting very sleepy when in her cage as she will lay under her basking rock and just sleep during the day and whatnot. Also I have a question, if she is not eating greens and hasn’t pooped in 2 weeks should I feed her bugs as I haven’t fed her many bugs recently as I thought that could lead to issues as she wouldn’t have a balanced diet ( I’ve been giving her about 1-2 bugs every other day, locusts) she uses a 100w basking bulb and a uvb strip that has about 2 months left before replacement. I am really worried although she could be going Into brumation? Help would be really nice as I’m extremely worried and live far from a vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so the lighting needs to be gone over --- first NO coil UVB's they are inadequate-- you need a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia hood - what size is the tank? 40+ gallon I would get a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Acradia 12% bulb-- next basking light needs to be a bright white basking bulb NO colored bulbs please-- temps need to be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer this is a MUST NO stick ons -- next please NO more lettuce ---- it has no nutritional value and she should be getting insects everyday along w/ fresh salads -- ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Next please get her off the sand ---- you can use paper towels for now and you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut it to the size the tank -- insects cannot get underneath and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution --
the basking temps and the UVB are the two most important things in that tank --- please correct them if your using a coil bulb and get your basking temps checked for what I posted -- I cannot stress this enough those two things control the over all health and behavior of the dragon --- if you need more help please ask

Jackmitchell943

Original Poster
First off great news she’s just done a T. rex sized poop, so big could barley fit in the palm of my hand ? thanks for the help. I am using a strip uvb with the uvb box regulator, takes up about 3/4 of my 4ft vivarium (centred in the top middle)
Sad substrate is going soon just finding the correct type of reptile carpet however I think as she is a female beardie she loves to burrow often before bed, thinking of getting possibly a safer loose substrate, any ideas? Also the basking bulb she had before was a clouded white light 75w however it burst so we had to quickly get her a 100w Arcadia flood light but it has a warm yellow glow... is that good? Thanks for the help :))

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is what bulb the T 8 or T 5? Distance and placement is key here-- the off white yellow I think you want a bright white we don't usually recommend off white yellowish bulbs

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
For a safer loose substrate, you'll probably want to find out what ClaudiusX uses with his dragons... he's the only mod I know who does loose, except for the folks who do bioactive enclosures, and that's a whole 'nother kettle of dragon dung there! I'd love to go bioactive, but don't have the money or time right now to research it and do it right.

As for reptile carpet... well, if you're committed to giving it a good washing frequently, it could work out. I've heard that they harbor a lot of bacteria if you aren't committed to weekly deep cleans. I've had tile and found that worked out much better; it's much easier to clean. Right now I have a custom rubberized mat in my Zen, and it's an easy cleaner, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom