blood in poop and pale tongue

Brakecy

Hey Everyone,

We have a bearded dragon, literally the light of our lives! He is almost 4 years old, he has been very healthy but we noticed yesterday his tongue is super pale in color. He has also had a couple poops with what looks like blood. No berries or red food fed at all but he did have one cricket, we don't typically feed him crickets ( to noisy!) but he did get one that was in his container of worms. I am hoping that maybe the cricket caused the little bit of blood but then I noticed the pale tongue... Looking for all your wisdom! :)

C.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon isn't doing well.
Can you review your lighting & supplementation for us? If his tongue is pale, it sounds like
he could be anemic. I would consider getting a fecal done on him to test for parasites or
worms which with heavy loads can cause some blood. Are his fat pads elevated or sunken
in right now?
For now, keep him around 75-80F overnight, to help boost his immune system while he is
not feeling very well.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Brakecy

Original Poster
Hi
So Buddha did eat a horn worm however did just have another bloody poop...? and his beard was pure black after he did it.
I made a vet appointment for tomorrow. I have never taken out Beardie to a vet.... what should I expect??

Thanks...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. Possibly a parasite load causing an issue. It's worth having a fresh poop sample tested at the vet. Just store it in a ziploc (and then in a paper sandwich bag if you wish) and keep it cold. The fresher the sample the better.

At the vet they usually record weight, do a physical exam visually and by feeling their belly. They may do additional tests such as a fecal test, blood text, x-ray - that all really depends on what the vet feels is necessary. The appointments tend to be pretty straightforward, especially if the vet is experienced with treating dragons and other reptiles.

Brakecy

Original Poster
Hi there,

Thanks so much, I am just so worried. I know not to allow an enema but is there anything else I should be aware of that might harm him, actually I am not even sure it is a him... LOL how do I tell?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they have experience treating reptiles they are unlikely to cause harm. They usually care about them quite a bit and are gentile.

You can tell their gender by setting them flat facing away from you. Arch the tail up and just above the vent along the tail there will be one large bump (female) or two thinner bumps that aim vertically up the tail a bit in a fork shape (male). Sometimes a flashlight helps to see, but isn't always needed.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204533

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing?
He is a sweet looking dragon. I agree, he probably has an elevated level of worms or
parasites & that may need to be treated. They can cause anemia in severe cases. Are
you giving him extra fluids right now?
Be sure to keep him a little warmer overnight to help boost his immune system. Let us
know how he is doing.

Tracie

Brakecy

Original Poster
Hello...
A sad update. We had to put our sweet Buddha down today. He had internal bleeding and was very anemic. He had about a 25% chance of survival but we decided it would be cruel to put him through anymore pain.
As you can imagine we are devastated.
Thank you for your kind words and advice.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no, that's sad news :cry: I don't think there's much that could have been done about internal bleeding though. I'm glad he is not suffering.

lisaplatt1

Beardie name(s)
Max
Hello,

How is your boy doing?
He is a sweet looking dragon. I agree, he probably has an elevated level of worms or
parasites & that may need to be treated. They can cause anemia in severe cases. Are
you giving him extra fluids right now?
Be sure to keep him a little warmer overnight to help boost his immune system. Let us
know how he is doing.

Tracie
Hi, I hope you don’t mind me replying to a post that’s over a year old. I just lost my girl 5 weeks ago to internal bleeding
Hello...
A sad update. We had to put our sweet Buddha down today. He had internal bleeding and was very anemic. He had about a 25% chance of survival but we decided it would be cruel to put him through anymore pain.
As you can imagine we are devastated.
Thank you for your kind words and advice.

lisaplatt1

Beardie name(s)
Max
Hi, I hope you don’t mind me replying to a post that’s over a year old. I just lost my girl 5 weeks ago to internal bleeding
Sorry to comment on an old post but I just lost my girl 5 weeks ago to internal bleeding 😢. We’re you able to find out a cause? Didn’t get a chance to with my girl and it’s so horrible not knowing

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom