Is my baby dragon eating enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timonsprofile

Hello,

A month ago I got a baby bearded dragon, it is my first and I think he is doing well. But when I look on this forum and on websites they say that he, who is i think then approximately 2-3 months old, should be eating much more than he is right now. He only eats around 6-10 crickets a day and will not touch his greens, i’ve tried everything to get him to eat his greens and even tried to trick him into it, but nothing works. Since i got him his body has shed, his head i think is about to shed and his tail has not shed. I am worried he is not eating enough to grow properly.
I dust his crickets with calcium and at some point his urate was very chalky, so I bathed him more often and stopped the dusting for 3 days and now it’s back to normal so I will dust again (though probably a bit less than i did before, i think i probably overdusted the cricks)

Basking spot temperature is 110F, cool side generally around 75F and hot side generally around 95F. It kind of fluctuates depending on how sunny it is outside. I have a mercury vapor uvb light 100W from solar raptor

Poop looks normal and hydrate. Urate was chalky for a while as i mentioned, but now it’s white and softer which I believe is normal.

I am concerned as I am a new reptile owner and therefore nervous about everything still, maybe my worries are for nothing and everything is fine but I’d rather be safe than sorry!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Insects will be more important at this phase. Let crickets eat the green to gutload them so he gets some amount of greens that way.

How are you feeding crickets? Young dragons need multiple meals of about 15 minutes each to eat. At least three times a day.

You can also try different bugs like black soldier fly larvae (BSFL) and some wax worms in an escape proof dish. Wax worms are high in fat/calories where BSFL already have enough calcium and don't need any added - these are soft and easy to eat.

timonsprofile

Original Poster
DorgEndo":1i0y7490 said:
Insects will be more important at this phase. Let crickets eat the green to gutload them so he gets some amount of greens that way.

How are you feeding crickets? Young dragons need multiple meals of about 15 minutes each to eat. At least three times a day.

You can also try different bugs like black soldier fly larvae (BSFL) and some wax worms in an escape proof dish. Wax worms are high in fat/calories where BSFL already have enough calcium and don't need any added - these are soft and easy to eat.

I hand feed him crickets, because I don't want too many crickets hiding around his viv as I've got lots of hiding places for them. When I hand feed him I do try for about 10-15 minutes and then give up. I've tried feeding him in a separate plastic tub but he has not gotten used to it and seems to be more focused on figuring out where he is than on eating the bugs. I do have an escape proof dish where I sometimes feed him some meal worms as a snack (though only like once a week 3 worms)

I will try the BSFL and wax worms in the escape proof dish. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom