Best Insect for Growing Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hi there,

I've been feeding my 3 month old dubia roaches almost exclusively (I did crickets once) because I heard they were very good for them (I give hime about 30 of those a day, 10 for each meal). However, I want to make sure my little guy is getting a varied diet! I was wondering what the next best insect for him would be. I'm thinking of having a dubia as my main protein for him, but then having a couple other insects to give him to keep a variety. I've heard about silkworms, bslf, etc. Which ones are the healthiest?

Also, I've been giving him some hornworms as treats recently... how many can I give him per day? Right now I've been sticking to only one a day.

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hornworms grow really fast so I would be using those up --- BSFL and dubias are a great combo-- I fed my 3 month old silk BSFL and dubia NO crickets tho -- they are a hassle and they stink - I also fed small super worms and horn worms and butter worms-- all fed at times when I was out of one or the other - I would rotate them - plus the salads - I used the BSFL and the super worms 1-3 as lures to his salad bowl -- the main insect tho was dubias -

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I second the BSFL - I think they're an ideal feeder for a young dragon, though you'll plow through a LOT of them because they're so small!

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
ComicBookMama":204ntw82 said:
you'll plow through a LOT of them because they're so small!
Should I get him medium bsfls? I was going to order some from DubiaRoaches.com. Here's how big he is:
full

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
KarrieRee":2ab5ylls said:
Hornworms grow really fast so I would be using those up
How many a day is too many (for a good diet)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hornworms grow fast so 1-2 - I would order large bsfl they are small

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom