New Beardie Owner need answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJunez

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1y8gqqia said:
If you get the 24" fixture now you can use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it--- then when you upgrade you will need to buy the 22" 10.0 bulb-- $20 -- the 14" will work on the 20 gallon but when you move the dragon into a bigger tank you will then need to upgrade the fixture as well --- a 14" will not work in a bigger tank --- I would spend the extra $10 from pangea and get the 24" you can use that bulb that comes w/ it --- please let us know what you do and we can help place the fixture when you get it

I decided to get a Exo Terra 150UVB because my friend has a beardie that she took care of for 4 years so I trust her. I plan to upgrade the fixature as he gets big along with the Tank. How long do these bulbs last? will he be bigger by the time the blub needs replacing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes and I believe it's 6 months-- he will need the tank and coil upgraded by then -

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB150 is good as long as you have the 26w version (the 13w is too weak). That should be good enough until you get a larger enclosure down the line.

MrJunez

Original Poster
CooperDragon":yjjzms18 said:
The UVB150 is good as long as you have the 26w version (the 13w is too weak). That should be good enough until you get a larger enclosure down the line.

The Light works well, As soon as I put the light on he started becoming more active and alert, He is now wanting to eat alot more, he also doesn't stay in one spot anymore and sometimes runs around picking up food. I'm happy with the results. I gotten a Exo terra 150UVB 26w since my friend told me she used 150 for her dragon as a baby and you guys tell me the same so I went with it and it does have amazing results, thank you!. Tomorrow the rest comes so he can have his multi vitamins , Cal with D3, Repashy grub pie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great to hear! I've tested that bulb and found it to be pretty decent in terms of output. Sounds like he'll be in good shape for a while =).

MrJunez

Original Poster
CooperDragon":12bap8qs said:
That's great to hear! I've tested that bulb and found it to be pretty decent in terms of output. Sounds like he'll be in good shape for a while =).

Here is another question, so the beginner zoo med kit came with a 75w basking bulb is that enough? its going to be summer here and my room often gets hot, the scary thing is there are rarely days where its very humid so would I need a dehumidifier?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The basking bulb may be enough. That really depends on the surface temps you measure. It's best to use an IR temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe you can set on the basking surface (or both). You want the surface of the basking area to be around 100-105 or so with areas around that in the 90s and a gradient down to 75-80ish on the cool side. The wattage needed to achieve this varies quite a bit between enclosures, so you'll need to make adjustments based on your readings.

As far as humidity goes, I don't worry about it too much. In the summer as long as the room doesn't feel too humid to you, then it's probably OK for your dragon. If it does feel humid then you can use a dehumidifier in the room if you wish. Their natural habitat can range between around 30-60% humidity (roughly) so they can be pretty adaptable in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom