Bonding with 3 Month Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
My 3 month old has been getting better and better at being handled. But today he got upset (after about an hour) while I sat next his cage with him for my 2 hour class. I couldn't tell if he was upset by my presence or wanted out. So I tried to get him out for some window time (I hold him and let him look out the window). And he was more squeamish than usual (he just shed but it done shedding, does this have anything to do with it?). But someone told me that you're not supposed to let them not be picked up once you've tried because it teaches them that running away is how you avoid getting picked up and so they'll never stop doing it. I finally got him up and he seemed to relax so I went to take him out of the cage and a few moments later he was trying to jump out of my hands (not safe)! I think he gets scared when this happens because I have to somewhat retrain him so he doesn't jump and get hurt, so I don't like when it happens. Any ideas on how I can get him to calm down more? Should I back off a little? I didn't pick him up yesterday because he was shedding, has he already lost handing progress from just one day?

-Claire

Update: he JUST pooped, and a fairly large one... does this explain the behavior maybe?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I've had him for 4 weeks now. I let him settle in without handling for the first week and have been going from there. If you ever accidentally "over-do" handling how long should you give them to calm back down?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings- it took months for my 3 month old to really get used to his surroundings- I would hand feed him a little when serving his food in the morning-- bsfl are good for that- you can put a piece of clothing or little blanket in his hide something w/ your smell on it-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom