Beardies legs are spazzing out

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I watched my beardie (6 months old), who was chilling up on his basking spot, just slide off of his stick side ways and land in his water bowl. He’s done this twice today, and after each time, one of his front and one of his back legs will start waving around in what looks to be an uncontrollable manner. It looks like a very violent muscle spasm that lasts a few seconds. He is still alert when it happens and doesn’t seem to be in much distress. I understand that muscle twitching is a symptom of MBD but this looks different than videos I have seen, because this is a full motion of the limbs. I’ve been feeding him BSFL lately so I find it hard to believe that he could be lacking calcium, and I give him a salad of collard and mustard greens with squash and sweet potato, and I dust the salad. He has a reptisun 10.0 tube uvb inside his enclosure. Temp is 107F, humidity is around 20%, carpet substrate. He poops everyday and eats very well. I have a video of it, is there any way to upload it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 10.0 uvb is what bulb T 5 or T 8? Distance from basking decor?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For a T 5 6" is way too close- inside the tank it should be 12-15 inches - you have it set up for a T 8- please look and adjust accordingly+ also the T 8 should have no clear plastic cover over the bulb and expiration is 6 months-- I recommend every 5 months-

Captainthebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1oc6ayu4 said:
For a T 5 6" is way too close- inside the tank it should be 12-15 inches - you have it set up for a T 8- please look and adjust accordingly+ also the T 8 should have no clear plastic cover over the bulb and expiration is 6 months-- I recommend every 5 months-

Thank you for the information I will make the adjustments. Do you think that could be the cause of the spasms?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Possibly make the change and watch his behavior if it persist we can get Tracie the vet tech mod to advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom