Adult Beardie acting strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

budzoboy

Hi Everyone. Its good to be back.

JoJo is approx 7-7 1/2 yrs old. She refuses to eat at times. had to go to freeze dried crickets, as she wouldn't chase them any more. she will only eat greens if I hand feed her. won't eat any fruit, even strawberries, which she used to love.
She has long times between poops, and I can sometimes get a dandelion dipped in mineral oil into her at times. She won't drink from her water bowl, but I can squirt water into her mouth with a squirt bottle.
almost seems she is blind in one eye..
her basking temp is usually around 95-98 deg. she spends a lot of time on the cold side.

starting to get worried...any thoughts? thanks in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?

budzoboy

Original Poster
using a reptisun 10.0 T5, bulb in a sun blaster fixture - tube
digi thermometer right next to her basking spot
her enclosure sits in the dining room, on a stand, and is 36 x 36 x 18

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup too so we can see
her condition?
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a good bulb. How far from her is it?
Has she ever laid eggs before?
Does she have a black beard at all, or has it been normal color lately?
If she isn't eating much I would recommend getting some baby food into her, such as
chicken or turkey baby food, with squash or sweet potato baby food a few times per week.
If she isn't feeling well you can also keep her around 75-80 overnight to help boost her immune
system. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

budzoboy

Original Poster
here are a few of her and the set up.
tried to get her to eat the babyfood, but she wanted no parts of it. she has never laid any eggs that I remember, previous owner said likewise.
the reptisun is hanging at mfg. suggested height
basking is around 7-8 inches from her hammock, she hangs on the branches occasionally.
no black around the beard, yellow around her mouth was from the camera flash
she also has a heat emitter in the tank for colder nights
97446-9037432363.jpg
97446-6538726659.jpg
97446-771950768.jpg
97446-8198057045.jpg
97446-9037432363.jpg
97446-8334828820.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the manufactured website telling you for distance for the UVB? And is the basking decor piece directly under it ? Its hard to tell from the pictures -- the basking temp you getting is the place she sits for basking or off to the side ?

budzoboy

Original Poster
the UVB fixture is approx 22" from the bottom of the tank, located in the center, mfg. states the bulb is adequate up to 36 inches, with 18 being the ideal.
basking lamp in 100watt approx 8" from the basking hammock, actually alongside the UVB fixture
the probe is on the wall at the hammock level. look at the last pic, you will see it in the corner.

all this just started about 3 months ago, except for the hand feeding.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get your UVB to the 12-15 inches from basking decor piece - I am not sure what the distance is since you said 22" from the floor -- and 36" is way to far for the UVB rays to be effective -- 18" is a little out of range -- get the distance I posted and see if the behavior doesnt change --- the basking temp you want off the hammock itself -- I think its probably fine but I would check it for sure ---

budzoboy

Original Poster
97446-3741398319.jpg
97446-6143040047.jpg
the UVB is basically the same height as the basking bulb!
the basking temp probe, is right on the hammock, in the corner

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the UVB is 7-8 inches-- that is distance for a T 8-- how long does she bask there for?

budzoboy

Original Poster
sometimes all day, sometimes not at all
she seems to prefer the coolness of the tile
I gave her a bath today..to see if that helps

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks to be of good condition. You are using a T8 tube bulb, correct, the Reptisun 10?
I agree, it does need to be closer to her. Does she seem to have difficulty climbing up &
getting onto her basking area? Her colors are very good.
She is getting a bit older, but should still be able to move around well. How often do you give
calcium & vitamins? At her age, she might just need a boost of calcium, etc.
Can you get her basking temperatures up a couple of degrees too, if she will tolerate it?
For now, if she is not eating much at all, just so that she gets some nutrition & maintains her
weight you can supplement her with some baby foods. Try chicken or turkey mixed with either
sweet potato or squash baby food.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

budzoboy

Original Poster
she has been doing fine with everything up to 3 months ago. the lighting hasn't changed, she moves around easily.
I was giving her greens dusted with calcium twice a week.
sometime, she will be basking, then move lower, so I assume she is getting enough heat.
the UVB is a reptisun 10 T5. high output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom