Feeding question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I’m brand new at this and this is the first day I’ve had the little guy. He’s around 3 months old. This morning when I woke up I turned on his light and fed him some crickets for breakfast and he was super eager and ate around 6. However, he doesn’t seem to want to eat anything for lunch.veggies or crickets. I read pretty much every place that you should feed them as much as they will eat like 3 times a day, so I’m wondering what kind of schedules everyone else on here has for their little guys and if I should worry. I’m probably just being a worrywart since I’m so new at keeping anything besides cats and dogs lol. I also assume leaving one or two crickets in there with him isn’t bad, right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please NO crickets left in the tank ---- what are you using for a UVB? a coil or tube? And welcome to the forum :) --- he should be fed salads every morning http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
I would get him some BSFL http://www.symptonbsf.com
Feed first thing in the morning you can add you some small super worms 1-3 to the top of the salads as well you dont want him hooked on worms so feed limited amounts www.reptilianarts.com you can order some small roaches get ones that are like 1/4-3/8 size and feed as many as he will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame dusting those only ONCE per feeding lightly coated w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins w/beta carotene dusted ONCE per feeding 2 x per week
He will probably eat a second feeding in the afternoon -- w/ the worms added to the salads tho he probably wont be eating that second feeding but maybe a couple of months -- I think Blaze quit eating the second feeding about 5 months or so but I was feeding him silk worms and BSFL and super worms and horn worms so he got full pretty fast along w/ dubias as the staple insect --

Wolfsbane123

Original Poster
I have a 26 watt coil bulb and it has a reflector dome base. I wouldn’t be able to feed him Dubias unfortunately cuz I live in Florida and they are actually illegal in Florida. I’d have to travel to another state to get them. I will look into the BSFL though. I don’t really wanna feed him any chitinous worms until he is a little older as I’ve heard they can have difficulty digesting them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Google discoid roaches in FLA you can get those they are similar to dubias- your 26 watt is a Reptisun? I am not a fan of coils! But your 26 watt should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor w/ NO obstruction- and it needs to be changed out in 6 months but I would change it out a month prior to

Wolfsbane123

Original Poster
It’s a brand called Thrive. I read most people don’t prefer coils but unfortunately I read that after I purchased this enclosure and everything lol. I got a bearded dragon kit with the 40 gallon tank and the UVB and basking lights and it had some decor like a carpet and a big basking rock cave and thermometers and hygrometers which is why I got it, but I’m seeing that I should probably go get one of the other type UVB bulbs. Any recommendations?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes ditch the coil! Go w/ a 24" hood like a zoo med or Arcadia w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb--- the zoo med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you can keep it for a backup but distance and placement would be different from the T 5 or Arcadia- they are the best on the market at this time-- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer - stick ons are inaccurate-- let me know what you decide and I can help you get it placed in the tank--- but I would get rid of that coil ASAP--

Wolfsbane123

Original Poster
Update, he did happily just eat like 6 more crickets so I guess he just wasn’t hungry earlier lol. Quick question though since we are on the subject of bulbs: would you reckon the 100 watt basking bulb is good enough? I have it on top of the steel mesh about 8 inches or so from the top of the rock in the corner.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get a digital probe thermometer place it on the spot where he sits to bask wait 10 min and get the temp -- you want the temp for him around 105-110 -- start there

Wolfsbane123

Original Poster
Ok thanks for all the help!! I’m ordering the UVB right now so when it comes in I will come back to this post and let you know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom