Lethargic after baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lydia693

Hi everyone,

My bearded dragon Henry has been treated recently for a respiratory infection. He had a course of baytril for 2 weeks. While he was on them he still ate fine and was fairly active. He's had probiotics too to help his belly.
But now 1 week after finishing the antibiotics he is really lethargic and basking all day. Not eating very much and just not himself. Not scratching to come out etc...
So I'm getting concerned. He hasn't got a black beard and his sypltoms seem to have gone. He had the odd heavy breathe now and then hut he's not coughing or wheezing anymore at all.
I'm hoping this is just his way of making himself feel better and he will perk up soon. Has anyone had anything similar or can reassure me that it's normal?

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of the dragon and the tank
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- what are you using for a UVB coil or tube and where in the tank is it? basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons please --

Lydia693

Original Poster
110443-283632209.jpg

It's a 12% arcadia pro t5 brand new 3 weeks ago. It's a the back on the roof

Basking temp is 40c

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's possible that he's just a little rundown after his ordeal. See how he's doing in a couple of weeks and be sure to keep him hydrated.

Lydia693

Original Poster
Ye it could be. I just don't like it when he's acting so strange. He's not moved all day just relaxing under his bulb, which I suppose is better than him hiding away or anything but he's just not himself.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear your boy is improved though, with the Baytril. It can be hard on their
system though.
It is a good sign though he is out & basking as he is & not hiding.
I would recommend getting some probiotics for a few weeks to help restore his gut flora.
Many times they take several weeks to recover after medication rounds.

Tracie

Lydia693

Original Poster
Ye the only thing is he is heavy breathing a little if I get him out to give him water, but this may just be that his energy is low or still fighting the infection a little.
He is having probiotics daily too.
He's not black bearding either which is good.
I've actually just ordered some reptaid, which is really rare to find in the UK.
Have you used this?

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds good you will be starting him on Baytril, hopefully that will help out. It is a great
sign he is not black bearding right now. Continue giving him probiotics & extra oral fluids right
now to try & get his system balanced out.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Lydia693

Original Poster
So we had a major setback for my poor guy.
I took he to the vets yesterday for a check up. She thought he was constipated. So she prescribed lactulose. 2mls. Which I thought was too much. So I double checked they said it was correct.
3 hours later his eyes sunk in and his beard was really black.
I couldn't find an exotic vet that would see us out of hours.
I gave him water to hydrate and checked on him every hour all night. He's made it through the night but he's very bloated and not well. Ringing the vets as soon as they open.
I've since realised the bottle says ducolax. I researched this, and it's a human constipation medicine, stronger than lactulose. I think he's been given the wrong medicine and wrong dose too.
I'm so upset.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no! Do you have any activated charcoal you could get into him?
I agree, that is definitely not good for him. He doesn't need anything else in his system,
the Baytril was enough. Just some extra oral fluids will help. If you don't have any charcoal
you can try using a blended mix of cilantro, parsley, basil, mint & oregano to help detox his
system.
Keep him around 75-80F overnight to help out his system right now. Please keep us posted
on him, it sounds like he is critical right now.

Tracie

Lydia693

Original Poster
So hes picked up slightly since the other night. I since have tried to get an exotic vet appointment. First one I could get is Monday.
His breathing is pretty heavy and he doesn't move much when I set him down, think he's out of breath. so I believe it's his chest still and his respiratory infection is still there or possibly got worse like pneumonia?

Ive read about asperation pneumonia and I'm really worried I've caused this now. I was trying my best to keep him hydrated by syringing water, especially the other night when he was so ill.
I go slowly and let him swallow as I do it but what if he's asperated some. ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy this evening?
It hopefully has not gone into pneumonia, that takes a bit of time to develop.
You can keep him warm overnight, & place him on a slight decline overnight to help any
fluids drain out of his lungs if needed. Be sure not to bathe him or have too high of humidity
in his tank, either.
Is his beard dark at all?

Tracie

Lydia693

Original Poster
110443-3033013600.jpg

Hi Tracie,

So we really thought he wasnt going to make it through the night. My boyfriend believes he can hear crackling and water on his lungs when up to his ear.
He wasnt good last night. Kept him warm and went to bed thinking he wouldn't be here this morning but he is! He is alive and even ate a locust and had a poo!

I'm so shocked and relieved. Going tot ake him to the vets today and ask for an xray and ceftazidime. He was going o have this a few weeks ago but had seemed to have recovered off baytril. But I think it's needed now. What are your thoughts on ceftazidime?

Thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is great news he made it through the night, bless him! I hope he continues to
improve for you.
The Ceftz/fortaz is a good broad spectrum antibiotic so I would think that for a respiratory
infection it should effectively target the infection. You could also consider nebulization too,
for help with getting better depth of lung tissue.
Continue to keep him warmer overnight, too. Were you able to place him on a decline over
night?

Tracie

Lydia693

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Hes had 2 injections of ceftazidime now. He isn't improving much unfortunately, his breathing is very heavy and he has a black beard all the time. His 3rd injection is tomorrow.

He did have an episode of mouth breathing 3 nights ago where we though he wasn't going to make it, but luckily he overcame it.

His eyes are still quite sunken even though I an hydrating him and giving him CCF at least 4 times a day.

I keep worrying it's something other than his lungs. The vet said on the xray the lungs were inflamed. Could this be due to another cause at all?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom