Beardie with an enlarged heart. What to do from here?

*long post* I took my beardie to an exotic vet yesterday to find out what’s wrong and why he had gradually refused food since dec. and why he has been breathing hard and weird since then. My guess was a bad uri? I feel so bad I had waited. I can post my vet paper in the comments. Upon the exam, X-rays showed an enlarged heart and fluid around it.
I was prescribed oxbow critical care omnivore, pimpbendan, baytril (just in case?), and furosemide. I hope he responds well to the meds, has anyone else has experience with this before? He is acting a little weird since the meds have been given, a black beard but still active. I’m worried. He never got a black before before the vet visit. If he starts to get bad off I will have to make the decision to put him to sleep I do not want him to suffer.

? He is 7 years old, will be 8 in may. He is a citrus tiger, from a breeder from a reptile show. he was a runt the smallest of the clutch. his first year of life he did not have uvb and proper care. My sisters boyfriends mom had him, if only she knew... ? he has mbd damage kinks in his tail and his toes. I got him when he was 1 year old and I wonder if he had had the right care would he have had this problem down the line or is it just genectis?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm so sorry to read this about your little guy. :( There's no way to tell for sure why he has this problem, humans can have heart problems at almost any stage in life. We hear of high school athletes collapsing on a basketball court and even newborn babies born with heart defects that need surgery right away. I hope he does well on the meds., only time will tell but keep him well hydrated by mixing a little extra water with his food supplement. BTW what is his name and can you post pics of him ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear your dragon has some heart issues, poor thing! There are some other
members here that have had the same or similiar problems.
I hope that the medication helps out for him! What foods do you use for him & supplements
also?
Is his weight normal right now? Did the vet mention anything about an enlarged liver or not?
I agree, genetics definitely play a role in their longevity. We will help as much as we can.
When you get a chance, please post pictures of him so we can see him.

Tracie

Hi I know this post was months ago but I am going through the same exact thing with my beardie. I am very concerned and I am unsure what to do. He doesn’t want to eat and when I took him to the vet they said he has an enlarged heart with fluid around around it after some X rays. I was given critical care, TMS Suspension and Metacam. I am concerned for my baby. There’s times where he seems better but at times I feel that he isn’t, and his beard is black which is rare for him. I don’t want him to be in pain.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
I would definitely keep his insects to a moderate level & his fat intake relatively low just to help
keep the stress on his heart reduced. I hope that he feels better.
Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom