Brumation or Concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Does this sound like brumation or should I be further concerned?

Marleigh is an estimate three-year-old, I rescued him about 1-1/2 years ago and was told he was 2 y/o at the time. I am not confident that his age is accurate, he was quite small when I got him. He brumated beginning in early June 2020 and woke up end of August 2020. When he woke up he went back to his usual ways within a week or two and had a vet visit with fecal check, all normal. About two weeks ago the weather dropped by roughly 80 to 100 degrees. Since then he has been hiding, not wanting to be in the light or heat, he slowly stopped eating and drinking water. He was also at the end of a near full body shed. I gave him a bath yesterday to help with the remainder of his shed and he had a bowel movement appeared to be normal, but it was in water so I couldn’t collect for fecal sample. I checked on him again today and he was standing in his cave so took him out to give him another soak. He had a very tiny BM, mostly urate, wasn’t expecting anything being as he hasn’t eaten in a few days. He sat with me for awhile then hid behind a pillow. I checked his likes to make sure they were still good, the bulbs are not quite six months old. I use ReptiSun T5HO 10.0 with reflector and his temps are 80 to 95 degrees. I have not been concerned about this for the majority of the time, it seemed like he was brumating due to the weather changes. Yesterday and today I have grown somewhat concerned as he has been digging in his cave, not excessively just a little bit but I have never noticed him do this before. His color looks good. I can call the vet on Monday to schedule an appointment. I am looking to see if anyone had any insight before then. Does this sound like brumation or more like illness? The pictures are all from today.

94265-4899096973.jpg

94265-6880483641.jpg

94265-3761448623.jpg

94265-1997171054.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Basking temps need to be 95-110 for a adult dragon and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- IR guns do not give off correct temps on a hammock -- you need the probe -- the cool temps are prompting the brumation cycle --- please adjust accordingly

JLynn87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1w3osh5l said:
Basking temps need to be 95-110 for a adult dragon and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- IR guns do not give off correct temps on a hammock -- you need the probe -- the cool temps are prompting the brumation cycle --- please adjust accordingly

Thank you!!! Those temps are for hatchling and juveniles. If I even go to 100 degrees, my guy will glass surf. From education on this forum, research and qualified & certified vets, 95-105 is good for adults. My fella has always liked the lower side. I’ve been a beardie mamma for a few years; this is my first possible experience with brumation twice in a 12 mo period or even having a beardie brumate in summer.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are good questions, which are always hard to determine a lot of the times.
Is he of good weight or maintaining his weight currently? Are you positive that he is male
& not female?
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb is a great bulb. Be sure it is at a 10-12 inch distance from him
for optimal UVB exposure.
A lot of dragons tend to brumate in the middle of summer, once their hormones drop they
want to relax!

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes I agree most adults do not like the real hot temps -- its nice to offer a gradient heat and a nice piece of decor that has different places to sit stand lay on or lay against would give different temps to bask -- something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this is just an example -- this can be layed in the tank different ways I have the long stick part laying on the floor of the tank w/ the big trunk piece under the basking lamp so they can lay on that part -- I have two different tanks --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom