Beardie with raw leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpk1

Hey our bearded dragon has been in some antibiotics and other meds for a infection they had on the side of her face. That is healing well. We are using a restore wipe and silversulfidine cream. The antibiotics are being injected every 3 days. First 2 shots, alternating legs went fine. The third shot placed in the leg used for the first shot, created a really scary reaction 8 hours after injection. Leg got puffy, red and scales are not able to be seen. When we soak her the whole area turns white and looks like lose shed but doesn't come off. We sent pics to the vet but they don't have a herp doctor on for the next few days. Our beardie is acting normal and not favoring the leg. It's just so weird

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a pretty bad reaction. I'd definitely stop the injections until you can hear back from the vet. Hopefully the swelling will start to go down and the scales will return to normal when the leg is given a bit of a rest.

cjpk1

Original Poster
Yeah thats what we think too. Using the restore wipes and the silver cream on if after soaks until then. She loves to soak. Vet office says keep an eye on it and make sure she is still eating and acting normal. She is moving leg like normal and not exhibiting like it's painful. Leg seems to bother us more than our beardie lol. We will likely see vet Wednesday which is when they have the exotic vet on site next. Im worried I either did the injection too deep or too shallow, or something. She is a trooper and not acting any different. They did send via email all the pics I took so vet can see before Wednesday and hopefully call us.

Thank you for the support. I will keep the site updated!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Can you post a picture of the infection on the side of the face? Also can you post a picture of your enclosure.

It's very rare for a dragon to develop a skin infection randomly. There would have had to have been some type of injury or burn, etc.
I'm asking this because we need to make sure there isn't anything in your husbandry or tank that is causing these skin infections.

What antibiotics were given?

Also, i'm not familiar with restore wipe, what is that?
What are you soaking the dragon in?

-Brandon

cjpk1

Original Poster
Sounds good. I'll post more pics tonight. For lighting we use the zilla desert uvb, 18", as well as a 50w mini blue halogen for day time basking, and a 50w mini red halogen for night time. Green substrate that we wash and or replace regularly and she has a plastic cactus she climbs and a small gray plastic hiding cave. She also has a natural rope like hammock she hangs out on most of the day and sleeps on when she isn't out of the enclosure hanging out with us. She is very social

cjpk1

Original Poster
I was having issues getting my other pics to upload. I emailed them to you instead.

cjpk1

Original Poster
The restore wipes is a soapless wipe that is antibacterial and antifungal. The brand is skin guard and it has phytosphingosine, chlorahexidine, and climbazole. But the container says skinguard restore

The antibiotics shot they gave me to use once every three days is ceftazidime, or tazicef. It needs to be kept in the freezer and thawed before injection

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the colored bulbs both of them---- colored bulbs hurt their eyes and can cause long term eye damage-- you need a bright white basking bulb for basking one that keeps temps 95-110 for a adult dragon taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- you dont need heat at nite unless your tank is dropping below 60-65 at nite -- they like it cool and dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom