How do I know if my bearded dragon is happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
I was having an issue the other day, that the last couple of days he had wall surfed and jumped up the walls- I figured out it was too warm in there, unplugged a bulb, and he is 95% better now :) Glad I got it fixed for him.

He has always been interested about looking out the glass, though. Not surfing, or pressing his face up against it, or panicking like he was for a few days when it was too warm, but either 1.) just calmly sitting there, on the floor or his couch, looking out, or 2.) with one little "paw" on the door, looking- still calm though.

He just seems to be really intuitive :study: and interested in what is happening outside the tank. He sits in my room, so he can see my 32" screen when I do schoolwork- not like he can read, but stuff moves around I guess- Guess he can't help me with logarithmic functions :roll:

He can also see my pets, like my cat. My cat is in my room all day with me, sleeping, sitting with me, or drinking my freshly poured icewater out of my glass so I have to get an entirely new one. :lol:
My bearded dragon is to the right wall of the wall my desk is against, about 2 feet away.
My cat has sat on my desk and looked at my bearded dragon before, and my bearded dragon just seems like he is intelligently piecing him together; never scared.
He can also see the traffic of the hallway when the door is open, which he loves to observe, as well as my dog coming in and out, as well as people.

After coming out of brumation as a full, 18 month-ish adult now, and after I got the heating in there fixed, it seems like it is 50/50 between looking out his window and basking. Maybe 60/40, or 40/60. Only been two days after I fixed it, so I'll need to watch more, but it seems like he has always done it.

Does this mean he is unhappy, or just curious?
Also- if they wake up dark-er, does it always mean they are stressed or are they trying to absorb heat while the bulbs get the tank warm?
Same thing throughout the day- like right now he is super chill, holding on to his little branch and basking, watching me type this(very judgmentally, I will add :cry: )
and he is just a touch dark- you can see those sesame seed marks on his belly, a medium amount.

And are your bearded dragons as judgmental as FlapJack? :lol: :cry:
Thanks for the help, as always- appreciate you guys :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he is happy and curious about his surroundings. That's a good sign and fairly typical. They are intelligent and curious by nature. If he is alert and his beard is a nice bright color (usually white & yellow or orange, but this can vary) then that indicates he is content. Darker colors in the morning usually just mean they are warming up. They can be grumpy when they first wake up sometimes too, just like us. And yes, they do look at you like they are judging. Why aren't you busy doing his bidding!? :twisted: :lol:

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like you have a very content and satisfied beardie there... they are naturally very curious about their surroundings and love to watch what's going on in the world around them. Being able to see a range of activities around him is stimulating to his little lizard brain, and yes, they do watch us quite judgementally - my Figment with the thought bubble hanging over his head of "Why aren't you taking me out to walk about the room???" or "Haven't you made my dinner yet?" A dragon that can see the world passing by is a happy dragon... they love to see a change in scenery. That's why so many folks recommend keeping them in the living areas of a home, where they can watch their people. You're doing great, dragon parent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom