scrunching head back and generally acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got gnomeo out to walk around and eat today (since he’s stopped eating by himself) and noticed he’s acting really sickly. i’ve already called my vet to make an appointment, but in the meantime i’m curious if anyone can help.

first off, he’s been officially moved into his new cage for three days now, and that hasn’t caused him any stress at all. it’s tiled with minimal sand on his hot side for comfort, and i’ve got a 36 inch reptisun t5 mounted inside alongside a 150 watt zoo med bulb that ranges his temperature from 91-80-75 (i’m either switching to a 200 watt or using a second, smaller wattage lamp soon)

as of now, though, he’s been struggling excessively to move. it’s probably his mbd acting up, but what’s concerning is the fact that he can barely even drag himself like he usually does through these flares. two times when trying to pull himself with his front legs, he did this thing where he scrunched his head back into his neck and shut his eyes tight, almost like moving hurt him.

his right eyes was also a bit more droopy than his left a while ago, but after doing something with his nictitating membrane that almost sent me into cardiac arrest, it looks fine.

he’s still doing the excessive mouth opening thing i made a post about a while ago frequently. still not sure what that’s about. still no other symptoms of an upper respiratory infection.

i don’t know if any of these behaviors together mean something, but it’s scaring me real bad rn. if anyone could offer a possible explanation for these things, i’d greatly appreciate it. any questions are welcome, too.

furbyteeth

Original Poster
here’s a picture of him and his setup rn.

106954-5657765134.jpg

106954-5656578215.jpg

the lighting of my bathroom makes him look a bit discolored here. got them before i put him in the bath though

https://vimeo.com/517408783

here’s a video of him doing the mouth thing. there’s another clip of him doing it on there but it’s older by a month or so.

since making the post, he’s blinked with his second eyelid twice again. don’t see anything in it, but maybe it’s irritated?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 should be moved into the tank and a piece of basking decor placed directly underneath 12-15 inches-- he's not getting enough UVB w/ it being in top of screen and no decor piece under it---

furbyteeth

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1xdms0tg said:
The T 5 should be moved into the tank and a piece of basking decor placed directly underneath 12-15 inches-- he's not getting enough UVB w/ it being in top of screen and no decor piece under it---

it is inside. it’s hard to see in the picture, but i’ve measured it out and it’s also 14 inches away from his basking spot. he doesn’t like climbing very much, though, because of his limited movement. i promise i focus a lot on uvb because of his condition, but i’ll still look into it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree that placing the T5 underneath of the screen might help out for a stronger UVB
emission. He might not be getting quite enough UVB & could be having trouble absorbing
his calcium properly.
Can he climb very well or support himself on all limbs? He just started dragging himself
around recently then?
Can you post some full bodied pictures of him, so we can better see his overall condition?
Is there any swelling on his hands, fingers, etc or around the wrists or ankles that you can
see right off?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If hes dragging himself I would suggest you get a shoebox or something that has a ramp on it so he can get up under his lights easier -- maybe a shoebox cut to a incline w/ a blanket or something for leverage to get up --- he needs those set up under his basking and UVB--- the pic looks like the UVB is on top of the screen and the distance needs to be 12-15 inches -- the way the tank is set up now hes not getting enough UVB from the way I see it ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom