What happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NivAndBlu

I would like to have you guys reply on what happens if I feed my bearded dragon treats as a staple? Just wondering, I'm not saying I'm going to but I'm just curious :) :) :)

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hi :)

This is actually a REALLY good question, because comparing "treats" vs. staples regarding a dragons diet are often a big debate topic depending on the research and/or the in the individual dragon owner - and lots of people have their own strong opinions on what constitutes as a treat.

In my own personal experience, I have used supers as a staple for my 10 year old girl the majority of her life. When she was a hatchling, I initially used pinhead crickets, and enlarged the size of the crickets as she grew. I also used phoenix worms to pack that calcium punch :)

At around 6 months, I switched over to small and medium supers - and whether it was right or wrong, stuck with them. I also introduced dubia at this time as a part of her staple diet.

Blue does love them - they are her staples along with dubia. She readily takes both, and she loves a good butter worm, wax worm, and hornworm now and then. She is healthy, she has never had a weight problem - I mean she's definitely not skinny - she's "curvy", but she is within the weight ranges I see online when I google the topic. Her weight doesn't really fluctuate, even after she completes her yearly 4 - 5 month deep sleep brumation. I know there are other issues than weight to take into consideration with your staple feeders, but just from my own experience - I have had success with supers as a staple, mixed with dubia - which is, by comparison, a leaner feeder.

What's your dragons name, and what feeders does your dragon like the most? Did you have a particular insect that you were thinking about using a staple? Hopefully you will get a variety of responses to this question with thoughts and opinion - its a very popular and interesting topic!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As mentioned, it depends on what you consider to be a treat. In general, an unhealthy diet that is high in fat and/or overfeeding can lead to obesity as well as issues with organ failure including kidney disease and fatty liver disease. Of course there are genetic factors in play as well. Unhealthy diets don't always lead to problems, and sometimes a very healthy diet can still result in having a sick dragon. It's still probably a good idea to offer the healthiest and most balanced diet you can. Lots of veges (especially as they get older) and a variety of foods will help to make sure they get the nutrients they need and be as healthy as possible.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Oh I hate that idea.

There is a lot of variability on what the "treat" or "treats" are. High sugar foods causing oral hygeine problems and infections, plus much sugar foods like strawberry can act like a laxative. Fatty bugs like wax worms as some main bug, especially if in replacement of salad, would lead to obesity and undoubtedly eventually organ failures. Oh boy I hate the idea of just treats. Bad enough humans already do that to themselves and their kids. I judge as harshly as a cranky cat in this area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom