T8 or T5 bulb for my DIY Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardo5150

I have a 4x2x2 custom enclosure.
When doing this, I completely forgot to factor in height for the T8 bulb.

Quick background...I was under the impression that a T5 bulb can only be used OUTSIDE of an enclosure (like the 36'' one I have right now sitting on top of his screen).
I was informed that a T8 should be used INSIDE the enclosure. So I purchased a T8. I screwed up by not thinking of height.
So look at the pic, I created basically two basking areas for him. One on the tree, and the main flat area.
I was testing things out and realized the height issue. I am not talking about basking light, I am talking about his basking spot compared to his UVB light.
The main basking area is 17 inches from the T8. The tree would be around 11 inches.

I have two options...I can return this light, and re-use the Reptisun T5 hood I have, and just make some custom brackets to hold it to the ceiling. But would that work? Can you use a T5 inside, and if so, what is the correct height from his back to the UVB?

I can continue to use the T8, but I would need to raise his basking spot I believe. Can someone tell me the correct height from his back to the T8 needs to be?

50977684721_8f01724d44_n.jpg
[/url]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please take the T 5 and put it inside the tank --- and take the T 8 out -- it is not adequate for the tank size and the T 5 is more suited for the 4x2x2-- basking distance for the T 5 should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --

lardo5150

Original Poster
The t8 is 36 inches just in case....

So you say the t5 would be safe mounted to the ceiling.
I would need to raise that basking spot 2 inches though correct?
Also my current t5 is 36 inches, inside a reptisun hood.
Do they make brackets or anything to hang these inside?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have mine inside the tank towards front middle of tank--- I can post some things to hang tomorrow- I use some stuff that works really good you can get at home depot- I can also post a pic of the tank if you like

lardo5150

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nl99l8p said:
I have mine inside the tank towards front middle of tank--- I can post some things to hang tomorrow- I use some stuff that works really good you can get at home depot- I can also post a pic of the tank if you like
Yes that would be great I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom