T8 or T5 bulb for my DIY Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardo5150

I have a 4x2x2 custom enclosure.
When doing this, I completely forgot to factor in height for the T8 bulb.

Quick background...I was under the impression that a T5 bulb can only be used OUTSIDE of an enclosure (like the 36'' one I have right now sitting on top of his screen).
I was informed that a T8 should be used INSIDE the enclosure. So I purchased a T8. I screwed up by not thinking of height.
So look at the pic, I created basically two basking areas for him. One on the tree, and the main flat area.
I was testing things out and realized the height issue. I am not talking about basking light, I am talking about his basking spot compared to his UVB light.
The main basking area is 17 inches from the T8. The tree would be around 11 inches.

I have two options...I can return this light, and re-use the Reptisun T5 hood I have, and just make some custom brackets to hold it to the ceiling. But would that work? Can you use a T5 inside, and if so, what is the correct height from his back to the UVB?

I can continue to use the T8, but I would need to raise his basking spot I believe. Can someone tell me the correct height from his back to the T8 needs to be?

50977684721_8f01724d44_n.jpg
[/url]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please take the T 5 and put it inside the tank --- and take the T 8 out -- it is not adequate for the tank size and the T 5 is more suited for the 4x2x2-- basking distance for the T 5 should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --

lardo5150

Original Poster
The t8 is 36 inches just in case....

So you say the t5 would be safe mounted to the ceiling.
I would need to raise that basking spot 2 inches though correct?
Also my current t5 is 36 inches, inside a reptisun hood.
Do they make brackets or anything to hang these inside?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have mine inside the tank towards front middle of tank--- I can post some things to hang tomorrow- I use some stuff that works really good you can get at home depot- I can also post a pic of the tank if you like

lardo5150

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nl99l8p said:
I have mine inside the tank towards front middle of tank--- I can post some things to hang tomorrow- I use some stuff that works really good you can get at home depot- I can also post a pic of the tank if you like
Yes that would be great I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom