Should I encourage burrowing?

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Should I encourage burrowing?

Postby FlapJack16 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:18 am

Do bearded dragons need to burrow?
I know that FlapJack scratches around at night, which might be related to that natural instinct/behavior.. should I get some excavator clay or something for him?
I don't want a loose substrate, but I think you can put it in a portion of the tank?

Hmm, let me know :)
FlapJack16
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Should I encourage burrowing?

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Yeah if they want to burrow, especially to settle in for the night, it's helpful to accommodate them in some way. I have small fleece blankets down that allow for burrowing and digging to an extent. A pile of fleece strips or scraps would work in a similar way. Much less messy than soil or sand and it gets the job done for them.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Behavior.
CooperDragon

Re: Should I encourage burrowing?

Postby FlapJack16 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:44 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Yeah if they want to burrow, especially to settle in for the night, it's helpful to accommodate them in some way. I have small fleece blankets down that allow for burrowing and digging to an extent. A pile of fleece strips or scraps would work in a similar way. Much less messy than soil or sand and it gets the job done for them.

That is a good idea- I don't like loose messy substrate for many reasons, and that is a nice alternative :)
FlapJack16
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior