How do I stop the glass surfing?!!! And Is my beardie okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon recently came out of brumation, and is glass/wall surfing like absolute crazy. I am looking at him right now as he paused, and he seems to be breathing hard, (from running around?) He is LITERALLY trying to jump up the walls- sliding back and forth against the glass, seems to be banging his nose on the glass in the process. (Not like aggressive head-banging, but just as he is surfing, his nose is hitting the glass) I am really worried. He is going ALL DAY.

Also, the last 3 times he has gone to the bathroom, is has been a microscopic amount, instead of the normal beardie stool. I am wondering if he is having a hard time getting everything out?
I'm trying to think- pre, pre-brumation, I feel like he got REALLY wound up before he went to the bathroom, and then returned to a non-panicked state once he did. It wasn't quite like this though.

He seemed pretty dehydrated out of brumation, with "non-elastic skin" (I hope you know what I mean) and a few chalky urates. His stools seem to be more and more "hydrated" each time he goes now- not quite there, though, with the chalky urate- but much better.

80% of the time, when he is glass surfing ALL DAY, he is light, with no stress marks. I have also never seen him with a black beard (In his entire life, from baby to now, which is around 16-18 months old).

Let me know if you have questions about diet, care, setup- I typed out a whole thing but didn't want to make this post AS long, scrambled, and confusing like my other ones :oops:

I have my desk and computer like 2 feet away from his tank- he is directly to the right of me.
I really need to figure out how to help him.
It is SO loud and aggressive, it is kind of overwhelming.

I need to be doing my schoolwork- but I cannot even begin to focus- he is distracting for one, obviously, two, I am worried about him, and three, I already have constant, chronic, generalized anxiety, even when absolutely nothing is happening-so this situation is gonna give me a heart attack between the anxiety over worrying about him, and the anxiety over not doing my schoolwork because I can't focus. As silly as that sounds. :?

Not about me though- most importantly, I need to fix whatever is bothering him, because it is up to me to manage his miniature universe, and he cannot do it himself, poor guy :oops:
Wish he could just talk to me.

Thanks
I also think his tank is too warm- I unplugged a lamp- I hope that is the solution?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is normal for them to have all kinds of pent up energy --- HIccup is doing the same drives me crazy-- the small amounts of poo is normal if hes not been eating alot --- Hiccup has been pooing pretty much every day and they are small amounts as hes not eating alot but he is eating and so the poo is going to be smaller amounts - if hes dehydrated and w/ the chalky urate I would say he is I would get him in the bath and see if he will drink just dont let him drink fast and large amounts you dont want him aspirating -- I would get him out let him run for like 2 hrs then put him back in his tank and see if that calms him down --- also you might see some head bobbing that is normal its getting to be mating season -- Hiccup has been doing the head thing more this year than previous -- he is 3

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2v050jo4 said:
It is normal for them to have all kinds of pent up energy --- HIccup is doing the same drives me crazy-- the small amounts of poo is normal if hes not been eating alot --- Hiccup has been pooing pretty much every day and they are small amounts as hes not eating alot but he is eating and so the poo is going to be smaller amounts - if hes dehydrated and w/ the chalky urate I would say he is I would get him in the bath and see if he will drink just dont let him drink fast and large amounts you dont want him aspirating -- I would get him out let him run for like 2 hrs then put him back in his tank and see if that calms him down --- also you might see some head bobbing that is normal its getting to be mating season -- Hiccup has been doing the head thing more this year than previous -- he is 3

Thanks, that really makes me feel better about it. Is he mature enough for mating season? I bought him as a baby 16 months ago (I do not know how old baby dragons are when you buy them- 1 month? 2?)
I would love to let him run around in my room while I do schoolwork, but there are way too many places to hide in here- not to mention I have long(er) carpet, and my dog/cat sleep in my room (I am the animal person, haha)
I don't think beardies being near pet hair on long carpet is bad or not?

I was thinking about getting something like this;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SFA8KBS/?coliid=I3BYPYLO063Q3L&colid=81G06E2ETHNE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

that way, he could run around and get some fresh, cool(er) air, see what is going on, and be in an open space rather than around branches/plants.

As I "renovate" his tank for him- I am going to try and get lots of "enrichment" items in there- branches, hammocks/bridges, etc., so he can bounce off the walls all he wants.
It will have to be a mixture of open space/"enrichment" space, I think.
I might post a tank pic when everything is updated :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Usually they are sold around 2-3 months old - so hes over a year -- and yes its probably hormones kicking in -- I have seen others use similar out door things like that --- pet hair does not seem to bother them as far as I know I have two dragons and 6 cats -- and a dog that is over here in the afternoon til nite time - I dog sit for my son -- so as far as pet hair you should be good - but I would not let those other pets in the room w/ him w/ out supervision - I am real leary w/ the dog around the dragons and usually do not let them out when she is here -- the cats could careless but I still supervise - you can block off the things he can get under or use the LR and set him up on the back of a chair or couch so the can see outside -- they love to look out doors and it sounds like the tank may be too small and that is why all the glass surfing

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2k7vgij8 said:
Usually they are sold around 2-3 months old - so hes over a year -- and yes its probably hormones kicking in -- I have seen others use similar out door things like that --- pet hair does not seem to bother them as far as I know I have two dragons and 6 cats -- and a dog that is over here in the afternoon til nite time - I dog sit for my son -- so as far as pet hair you should be good - but I would not let those other pets in the room w/ him w/ out supervision - I am real leary w/ the dog around the dragons and usually do not let them out when she is here -- the cats could careless but I still supervise - you can block off the things he can get under or use the LR and set him up on the back of a chair or couch so the can see outside -- they love to look out doors and it sounds like the tank may be too small and that is why all the glass surfing

Yeah, I don't let my reptiles anywhere near my pets- I don't think they'd do anything at all, but you never know.
I sure hope the tank isn't too small- it was incredibly pricy, and less than a year old; it is 4x2x2, and I am planning on adding lots of "vertical" decor so he can climb around on hammocks.

He is shedding, on his face at least- I have never seen a lizard use their back leg to scratch like a dog, by the way- and I think his tank was way too warm.
Unplugged a lamp, temp dropped, and he is chill now :)

Thanks for the help, as always! :)

FlapJack16":2oy3g9g6 said:
My bearded dragon recently came out of brumation, and is glass/wall surfing like absolute crazy. I am looking at him right now as he paused, and he seems to be breathing hard, (from running around?) He is LITERALLY trying to jump up the walls- sliding back and forth against the glass, seems to be banging his nose on the glass in the process. (Not like aggressive head-banging, but just as he is surfing, his nose is hitting the glass) I am really worried. He is going ALL DAY.

Also, the last 3 times he has gone to the bathroom, is has been a microscopic amount, instead of the normal beardie stool. I am wondering if he is having a hard time getting everything out?
I'm trying to think- pre, pre-brumation, I feel like he got REALLY wound up before he went to the bathroom, and then returned to a non-panicked state once he did. It wasn't quite like this though.

He seemed pretty dehydrated out of brumation, with "non-elastic skin" (I hope you know what I mean) and a few chalky urates. His stools seem to be more and more "hydrated" each time he goes now- not quite there, though, with the chalky urate- but much better.

80% of the time, when he is glass surfing ALL DAY, he is light, with no stress marks. I have also never seen him with a black beard (In his entire life, from baby to now, which is around 16-18 months old).

Let me know if you have questions about diet, care, setup- I typed out a whole thing but didn't want to make this post AS long, scrambled, and confusing like my other ones :oops:

I have my desk and computer like 2 feet away from his tank- he is directly to the right of me.
I really need to figure out how to help him.
It is SO loud and aggressive, it is kind of overwhelming.

I need to be doing my schoolwork- but I cannot even begin to focus- he is distracting for one, obviously, two, I am worried about him, and three, I already have constant, chronic, generalized anxiety, even when absolutely nothing is happening-so this situation is gonna give me a heart attack between the anxiety over worrying about him, and the anxiety over not doing my schoolwork because I can't focus. As silly as that sounds. :?

Not about me though- most importantly, I need to fix whatever is bothering him, because it is up to me to manage his miniature universe, and he cannot do it himself, poor guy :oops:
Wish he could just talk to me.

Thanks
I also think his tank is too warm- I unplugged a lamp- I hope that is the solution?
The white chalky part called the urate that's actually their urine believe it or not. When my beardie does this she just wants out and to be held for a bit. Sometimes it's just that or could be having a hard time pooping which it sounds like to me. If eyes sunken at all or wrinkled skin it's dehydrated. You have to make sure it is drinking and getting regular soaks or it will have a hard time going poop if not enough water. I always keep prune and pumpkin baby food at home as they help them go to the bathroom and I keep baby plain clear Pedialyte in the house as well in case they don't feel good. My beardies do not glass surf unless they just want out or something is wrong. Take your baby out give a bath for a half hour and wrap up in a towel and let it lay on you for a while see how he does.
Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom