Aggressive bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superiorpear27

Hello all,
My mum has decided to get me a pet bearded dragon, she’s getting it off her friend who hasn’t really given her much information about the bearded dragon such as her age. She has said that the bearded dragon was friendly and was fine with being handled until it was attacked by another bearded dragon and had its leg bitten off. After this incident she is now snappy and doesn’t like to be held. I don’t know if the current owner has tried to get her used to being handled again but I just feel like the bearded dragon won’t be comfortable or trust me as she doesn’t know me and already has aggression problems and doesn’t even trust her current owner. I haven’t met the bearded dragon or the owner and I’m just getting bad vibes over the lack of information she’s given my mum. So I just don’t know what to do or if I will be able to get this bearded dragon to bond with me? Any advice would be extremely helpful

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First of all the dragon suffered a traumatic experience - how long ago did this happen? Next you need proper UVB meaning NO coils and proper basking temps 95-110 for a adult / juvie temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons--- what size is the tank? If the dragon is a adult in a small tank like a 20 gallon its too small --- the owner should be given this information - the dragon could be really sick for lack of proper lighting ---- until these questions are answered I cant help you --- correct UVB and correct basking temps are the two most important things in the tank -- w/ out them the dragon is more than likely not in good health --- please find out and post back

saraho

Hatchling Member
If you decide to adopt her, please know it will take patience and time for you to bond with her. How scary to lose a limb!

Superiorpear27

Original Poster
Thank you for the help, I told my mum that I’m not ready for this responsibility as I’m going to uni in September and I don’t really have the time or funds to support her so my brother is going to look after her instead, she was dropped off at my mums this evening with barely any supply’s after the lady told my mum that she had everything she needs so we’ve done our best to give her the best comfort we can till the morning as no where was open when she arrived. She’s got a viv and a heat lamp and a food bowl but that’s it, I’m actually mad that this lady thought that was acceptable. I’ve done research online on what she needs and I’ve got a list of things I’m going to get and advice is appreciated

Edit* there was a UVB lamp in the tank but it constantly flickers so I know that won’t be good for her so I will be getting a new one tomorrow, I’ve seen two different types of UVB lights the long ones and the ones that are just like normal bulbs I’m planning on getting the long one so it stretches all the way across the tank is this the best option?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
NO coil UVB's you need a long tube fixture/ hood w/ a reflector -- NO colored bulbs - NO heat mats No heat rocks -- she needs to be in at least a 40 gallon minimum tank and even that is too small --- you need digital probe thermometers for getting accurate basking temps -- adult dragons 95-110 temps --- No sand for substrate - recommended textured NON adhesive shelf liner its going to be a lot easier to clean and cheaper in the long run from reptile carpet sand mats etc ----------- if you need help w/ the UVB please ask ---- but the two most important things in the tank are the basking temps and UVB--- if you do not have a UVB that is your first purchase ---

Superiorpear27

Original Poster
Ive found a UVB light that’s got a reflective hood, I’m not sure what’s size I would need to get, the viv is definitely more than 20 gallons I don’t know the exact measurements but from the vivs I’ve looked at online I’d say it’s a medium sized one and I know she needs a large one when she gets abit bigger as I don’t thinks she’s a year old yet but I will be getting a larger tank, does the uvb light have to go from one end of the tank to the other or just on one side?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a minimum of 40 gallon nothing smaller so get the measurements- LxWxH- no you do not want a UVB the whole length- you can use a 24" fixture for 40 + gallon tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom