Basking spot help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
I am breaking these posts up, so I don't have a novel in just one post. This one is basking.

I need to find a new basking spot for my BD- he pretty much does not have one right now.

I was going to have my dad build me a basking spot like one of these.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/772650728/reptilebearded-dragon-reptile-lounge?ref=hp_rv-3&pro=1&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/765156779/reptilebearded-dragon-reptile-lounge?ref=hp_rv-2&pro=1&frs=1

They are adjustable, and we can seal the wood so they can clean easy, too. I can also place a large stone on the top one, for a nice basking surface.

I need to know what the best height would be for it. Like I said, they are adjustable- so I am trying to figure out how tall the highest slot should be.
Basically- what is the closest a BD should ever get to the basking spot? Meaning- at what distance is it like; "ok, I need to get a stronger bulb and lower this"
My tank is 24"H.... If we made the structure 15" tall at the highest, and added maybe 2" of height if FlapJack sits there and has his head up, that would make him 7" away from the bulb, at the closest setting possible.
Too close? Just right?

Let me know your ideas on any of it!
Thanks! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Basking bulbs should not be closer than 6" I believe BUT it depends on the wattage your using -- they are trial and error - so maybe start w/ a 100 watt but if your tank is 24" high and on top of the screen then your probably going to end up w/ a 150 watt but like I said its going to be trial and error - make sure your getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer --

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Any distance that is safe, which means the dragon can not touch the bulb under any circumstances, and the surface temp of the spot is far enough away that it isn't too hot. EG a surface temp of 120 would be too high, you'd need to lower it.

-Brandon

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1tjvr7wm said:
Any distance that is safe, which means the dragon can not touch the bulb under any circumstances, and the surface temp of the spot is far enough away that it isn't too hot. EG a surface temp of 120 would be too high, you'd need to lower it.

-Brandon

Hmmmmm..
Any specific suggestions on a structure height?

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3okn5u89 said:
Basking bulbs should not be closer than 6" I believe BUT it depends on the wattage your using -- they are trial and error - so maybe start w/ a 100 watt but if your tank is 24" high and on top of the screen then your probably going to end up w/ a 150 watt but like I said its going to be trial and error - make sure your getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer --

Should I use both a digital probe AND a infrared?
Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FlapJack16":grpsjbza said:
Claudiusx":grpsjbza said:

-Brandon

Hmmmmm..

All kind of just depends on your setup, lighting etc.

You can always make a rough model out of cardboard and hot glue or something to see how it would work in your setup.

In regards to measuring temperatures, I only recommend digital with probe ends. IR guns rely on measuring only a specific type of material(s) (usually materials with an E-Value around .95). Unless you have an IR gun with an adjustable emissivity setting (which would allow you to accurately measure your specific surface material)

-Brandon

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1juwk7y7 said:
FlapJack16":1juwk7y7 said:
Claudiusx":1juwk7y7 said:

-Brandon

Hmmmmm..

All kind of just depends on your setup, lighting etc.

You can always make a rough model out of cardboard and hot glue or something to see how it would work in your setup.

In regards to measuring temperatures, I only recommend digital with probe ends. IR guns rely on measuring only a specific type of material(s) (usually materials with an E-Value around .95). Unless you have an IR gun with an adjustable emissivity setting (which would allow you to accurately measure your specific surface material)

-Brandon

I was going to get this one :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?coliid=I1HCFV6NJVDDMO&colid=81G06E2ETHNE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As far as E-values and emissivity, ya lost me- (i sure sound like a genius, what between this and poster sizing)

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also-
Does 15" as the highest setting on that structure in a 24" tank sound alright, or should I make the highest setting higher, just in case?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I use one like that but I also have digital probe thermometers as well
my fixtures are approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FlapJack16":y8sueytp said:
As far as E-values and emissivity, ya lost me- (i sure sound like a genius, what between this and poster sizing)
I'm actually working on an article for this site in regards to thermometers, and IR guns.

Here is a copy and paste from part of it that hopefully helps you understand (you can be my beta tester to tell me if what I'm saying makes sense lol!)

Emissivity is the term used for how an object emits energy as thermal radiation. And like mentioned, different objects have different emissivity values. This is what causes one of our major problems with this type of thermometer. Most IR temp guns come calibrated to a set emissivity value (from here on referred to as Evalue), usually 0.9-0.95. These values cover a wide range of materials, but as you might imagine, they also leave out a lot of materials. For instance, asphalt has an Evalue of 0.93. So the average IR gun would read asphalts surface temperature fairly reliably. But sand has an Evalue of 0.76, sandstone 0.59. And granite has an Evalue of 0.45. This would mean your IR temp gun would be useless on those materials, as the Evalue is much out of range, your readings will be off too. So, the only way to get around this is 1 of two options. You only use items in your tank that fit the Evalue of your IR temp gun, or you buy an IR temp gun with an adjustable Evalue setting. You will have to make sure when you buy one that it states it has adjustable emissivity levels. If this is the case, then you need to make sure you know what the surfaces are you are measuring, and look them up on an emissivity chart. From there you can adjust your thermometer and you should be getting very accurate readings.
So in conclusion, IR temp guns can be very accurate, but only if they are used properly. And unfortunately, that is what makes them not user friendly in my opinion

-Brandon

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1tf7lifn said:
FlapJack16":1tf7lifn said:
I'm actually working on an article for this site in regards to thermometers, and IR guns.

Here is a copy and paste from part of it that hopefully helps you understand (you can be my beta tester to tell me if what I'm saying makes sense lol!)

Emissivity is the term used for how an object emits energy as thermal radiation. And like mentioned, different objects have different emissivity values. This is what causes one of our major problems with this type of thermometer. Most IR temp guns come calibrated to a set emissivity value (from here on referred to as Evalue), usually 0.9-0.95. These values cover a wide range of materials, but as you might imagine, they also leave out a lot of materials. For instance, asphalt has an Evalue of 0.93. So the average IR gun would read asphalts surface temperature fairly reliably. But sand has an Evalue of 0.76, sandstone 0.59. And granite has an Evalue of 0.45. This would mean your IR temp gun would be useless on those materials, as the Evalue is much out of range, your readings will be off too. So, the only way to get around this is 1 of two options. You only use items in your tank that fit the Evalue of your IR temp gun, or you buy an IR temp gun with an adjustable Evalue setting. You will have to make sure when you buy one that it states it has adjustable emissivity levels. If this is the case, then you need to make sure you know what the surfaces are you are measuring, and look them up on an emissivity chart. From there you can adjust your thermometer and you should be getting very accurate readings.
So in conclusion, IR temp guns can be very accurate, but only if they are used properly. And unfortunately, that is what makes them not user friendly in my opinion

-Brandon

That's a great explanation!
So as a summary- would it be better to stick to a zoo med thermometer/hygrometer, and place the probe on the basking area?
Is it worth still getting this, and using the two hand in hand?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?coliid=I1HCFV6NJVDDMO&colid=81G06E2ETHNE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Thanks for your patience :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have the budget for both, I say go for it. I use digital probes (one on the basking surface, one on the cool side floor) to monitor the temps all the time. I also have a temp gun to double check temps all over the enclosure and also to check temps around the house and under the portable basking lights etc. It's handy to have both.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1gmq8f0a said:
If you have the budget for both, I say go for it. I use digital probes (one on the basking surface, one on the cool side floor) to monitor the temps all the time. I also have a temp gun to double check temps all over the enclosure and also to check temps around the house and under the portable basking lights etc. It's handy to have both.

Good to know- thank you! Do you like that one I have picked out?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that should work well for spot checking. Keep emissivity in mind as mentioned. You may not get the exact readings on all surfaces. You'll get close enough to adjust lighting though. I have a similar one and really don't worry about it all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom