Bath Time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I'll keep this short I'm just wondering the best way to bathe a bearded dragon my younger dragon hates her bath time she ALWAYS tries to escape and I know its stressing her out and I dont want to but she needs it both the water/depth is perfect she just genuinely hates water but doesnt mind misting

Like to hear everyones thoughts and techniques if they are willing to share

As always thank you and sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
TheBeard9789":lyd8bf8c said:
but she needs it
What makes you say this?

IMO, if a dragon doesn't like baths, and it's clear it stresses them out, they shouldn't get baths.

If your main goal is hydration, they only get hydrated from baths if they actually drink from the water.
If it's because she keeps getting dirty, well you can always just try a damp cloth or dipping a toothbrush into water and gently rubbing her with it.

For hydration, you can try misting the salads, or even dripping water on her nose. Most beardies can eventually learn to drink this way.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. There's no need for baths unless they get really soiled. Some dragons enjoy baths and others don't. If they seem to cause stress, I wouldn't force them.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":13zwjym5 said:
TheBeard9789":13zwjym5 said:
but she needs it
What makes you say this?

IMO, if a dragon doesn't like baths, and it's clear it stresses them out, they shouldn't get baths.

If your main goal is hydration, they only get hydrated from baths if they actually drink from the water.
If it's because she keeps getting dirty, well you can always just try a damp cloth or dipping a toothbrush into water and gently rubbing her with it.

For hydration, you can try misting the salads, or even dripping water on her nose. Most beardies can eventually learn to drink this way.

-Brandon
Shes still young the breeder I got her from didnt really make the effort for baths sometimes its a great way to get her to go to the bathroom for me and when shes got some stuck shed i may just have to wrap her up in a cloth from now on and use the bath for emergencies

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
I just wanted to post my opinion regarding this debated subject.

After Drogon came out of brumation, he was really dehydrated. Didn't want water on the nose, misted, wouldn't eat (later found out he had parasites) My vet suggested bathing him for 20-30 minutes to help with his hydration, and honestly, it's made a huge improvement in his overall appearance and disposition. He's more brighter and alert, and people have remarked his bright orange coloration came back!

I would say that each dragon reacts differently to baths. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but I still keep up with the routine every 2 days.

PS: I'm not an expert, just providing my experience :)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Selkie1993":pc0kdrjg said:
I just wanted to post my opinion regarding this debated subject.

After Drogon came out of brumation, he was really dehydrated. Didn't want water on the nose, misted, wouldn't eat (later found out he had parasites) My vet suggested bathing him for 20-30 minutes to help with his hydration, and honestly, it's made a huge improvement in his overall appearance and disposition. He's more brighter and alert, and people have remarked his bright orange coloration came back!

I would say that each dragon reacts differently to baths. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but I still keep up with the routine every 2 days.

PS: I'm not an expert, just providing my experience :)
Always welcome ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom