My bearded dragon has what I think is a Broken finger

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a finger that is twice the size of the same finger on the other hand but when we took him to the vet they said there was nothing wrong with his finger even tho it is obvious there is something wrong with it we live in Phoenix Arizona and would appreciate any vet recommendations the vet we went to was called Arizona exotics animal hospital they gave the impression they forgot about the x ray .his diet is good he has uvb and heat lighting and other then the finger seems healthy I was just wondering what the best course of action would be to help his finger
110504-3030764642.jpg
110504-6283267573.jpg
on the normal sized finger there is a nail missing but I has began regrowing I am not sure how to it happened but it doesn’t seem to bother him

Another thing i was wondering as you can see from some of my responses the lizard went throw a very traumatic experience not involving me but he seems to hate all human contact which he has every right to whenever is be handled he turns black some days he seems to like me and will even seem to prefer being on me then being on other surfaces other days he just hates everyone he doesnt bite or puff up anymore but he turns black i just want to know if there are any ways i could try to bond with him a few days ago i got him to eat out of my hand but we hasnt done it again since he also has had the circular stress makr on his belly since i got him i left him sit in the cage a few days when i got him and they have been there for a few weeks he is not always black i live in arizona so he enjoys to be outside and turns bright yellow he also is very happy to bask and cuddle with his blanket

also any food recommendations we feed him variaties of vegis and the occasional fruits but his likes change every day and the only thing he consistantly eats is lettuce and bugs

If you care about reptiles please consider reading this petition http://chng.it/BqzRX65Y

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Any green mesh hammocks in the tank? UVB what are you using? Coil or tube?
Here is a website to find a new vet
www.arav.org
Tracie and AHBD can help w/ the finger issue

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does look swollen. An x-ray would have been useful in this case, I'm surprised they "forgot" about it. It's possible that the nail got caught on something and twisted the finger. It's also possible that it's swelling due to an oncoming shed, in which case once the old skin breaks free the swelling would go down. For now, it's probably best to provide soft surfaces to walk on and try to prevent the need to climb just in case it is broken that would help make healing easier.

TurtugaTom

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1okcxl9k said:
Any green mesh hammocks in the tank? UVB what are you using? Coil or tube?
Here is a website to find a new vet
http://www.arav.org
Tracie and AHBD can help w/ the finger issue

there are no green mesh hammocks and i just received the bearded dragon from my parents and i am very sad to say this but her boyfriend had a lapse in judgement and left the bearded dragon with a 7 and 8 year old long story short it ended up going throw a basket ball hoop luckly it was a room one not a full size but since then he just hasnt been the same the kids are no longer aloud near the lizard and he seems fine all but his finger the light is not coil because i heard that is bad we have two lights one is uvb and heat the other is just uvb but they are both pear shaped lights thanks for the responce i just want the lizard to be happy but i want to know whats wrong before i end up going to the vet again so they cant just say nothings wrong

TurtugaTom

Original Poster
CooperDragon":15x2wajy said:
It does look swollen. An x-ray would have been useful in this case, I'm surprised they "forgot" about it. It's possible that the nail got caught on something and twisted the finger. It's also possible that it's swelling due to an oncoming shed, in which case once the old skin breaks free the swelling would go down. For now, it's probably best to provide soft surfaces to walk on and try to prevent the need to climb just in case it is broken that would help make healing easier.

yea they didnt say they forgot but the way the lady responded it was implied it is possible the nail was caught in something before i had the lizard my parent had it and my mom boyfriend left it with a 7 and 8 year old who throw him throw a basketball hoop luckly it wasnt full size it was a in room and luckly beside the fact he seems to hate all human contact he does seem affected in any other ways he walks fine i dont beleive it is shed i have looked all around the finger and see no sighns of shed

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can get all types of slight injuries like that and not really be affected so he should be O.K. :) I hope the kids were disciplined, no excuse at that age to be unaware that a small animal isn't a toy and can easily be injured. Hopefully they won't have any more chances to do real damage.

TurtugaTom

Original Poster
AHBD":c2d4znrx said:
They can get all types of slight injuries like that and not really be affected so he should be O.K. :) I hope the kids were disciplined, no excuse at that age to be unaware that a small animal isn't a toy and can easily be injured. Hopefully they won't have any more chances to do real damage.

They were disciplined and do you think he will require vet attention because we have already spent 500 at the vet and they didn't solve the problem altho if needed we will do it again at another vet this time his finger has been like this for a few weeks so how long should it take to heal and is it possible it broke to the side and need to be put back in place and do you think it could be the cause of his stress marks because that worries me online it says unless they are extremely stressed they go away in a few days but he has had them for far longer

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, I think it will be fine. Is he walking O.K ? And yes, you'll just have to let time pass for him to de- stress from his traumatic + terrifying experience.

TurtugaTom

Original Poster
AHBD":3gdex5xj said:
No, I think it will be fine. Is he walking O.K ? And yes, you'll just have to let time pass for him to de- stress from his traumatic + terrifying experience.

he is walking fine he just walks like two feet then stops

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
Does his finger seem to hurt him at all? Hopefully the swelling will go down soon. It
will heal up but try to keep him from climbing on things too much so he doesn't hurt it
more. As suggested, put down some soft towels for him in his tank to help out.
How is his appetite doing, thus far, has he been interested in eating?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

TurtugaTom

Original Poster
Drache613":2fyf9lyo said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
Does his finger seem to hurt him at all? Hopefully the swelling will go down soon. It
will heal up but try to keep him from climbing on things too much so he doesn't hurt it
more. As suggested, put down some soft towels for him in his tank to help out.
How is his appetite doing, thus far, has he been interested in eating?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

he has been eating OK he always eats bugs and when i make him salad he will usually eat the lettuce and a few of the veges and fruits but usually not even half of what i offer besides the lettuce and i dont offer to much i do about two slices of what ever it is skinned and cut into tiny peices i tried making them move because he will only eat the bugs if they move but that didnt work ( i dont offer fruits every day) but i believe this is because he was only fed insects in the past the only sign of pain is he has always had stress marks but i heard they stay forever on extremely stressed bearded dragons and he has multiple owners plus the incident altho latley he has been much more yellow and active he has a blanket in his cage but he has been climbing there is nothing that he has to climb but since it has been getting warmer he has been climbing on top of his hides

i was also wondering can over handling be a problem i try to keep him out his cage for a few hours a day because i would hate to be in a cage i am not always holding him i spend a lot of time sitting next to him outside because i live in Arizona lately i have been handling him slightly less because the other day he randomly got more aggressive then he has even been he puffed up and opened his mouth he has never done this towards me but he was outside i looked for birds and didn't see any and he is very used to the dog by now altho the dog wasn't around at the time

Sorry for the late response i have been grounded

Jessss

Hi just wanted to add from personal experience.My Bruce had a problem similar to this.One of his fingers began to swell and became quite stiff compared to his other fingers,Within a month it grew quite big to the point he couldn’t walk on it.He saw his vets and she advised amputation so he got it removed,she had a look at his finger and inside it once it was off.She thought a bug had bitten him but all was well once removed.Unfortunately 6 months later he began growing multiple lumps all over his body that grew very fast,he went to the vet and had X-rays and blood tests which sadly revealed skin cancer and stomach cancer.He lived for a few months after with me syringe feeding him and loving him but one day woke up in pain so I knew it was time to help him go.It probably isn’t the same as what Bruce had but it’s always best to get checked with a vet as I thought the same as you that he’d sprained it or been bitten.Hope he feels better soon!

TurtugaTom

Original Poster
Jessss":nzx48fl9 said:
Hi just wanted to add from personal experience.My Bruce had a problem similar to this.One of his fingers began to swell and became quite stiff compared to his other fingers,Within a month it grew quite big to the point he couldn’t walk on it.He saw his vets and she advised amputation so he got it removed,she had a look at his finger and inside it once it was off.She thought a bug had bitten him but all was well once removed.Unfortunately 6 months later he began growing multiple lumps all over his body that grew very fast,he went to the vet and had X-rays and blood tests which sadly revealed skin cancer and stomach cancer.He lived for a few months after with me syringe feeding him and loving him but one day woke up in pain so I knew it was time to help him go.It probably isn’t the same as what Bruce had but it’s always best to get checked with a vet as I thought the same as you that he’d sprained it or been bitten.Hope he feels better soon!

Ok thanks for this information we took him to the vet and they didn't say anything about it but I appreciate the warning if his finger swelling doesn't go away soon he will be revisiting the vet

NandF

I posted this exact thing years ago and never got an answer. My dragons finger never went back to normal and is still like that. She is now 4 years old

Kklolmeh

He has a finger that is twice the size of the same finger on the other hand but when we took him to the vet they said there was nothing wrong with his finger even tho it is obvious there is something wrong with it we live in Phoenix Arizona and would appreciate any vet recommendations the vet we went to was called Arizona exotics animal hospital they gave the impression they forgot about the x ray .his diet is good he has uvb and heat lighting and other then the finger seems healthy I was just wondering what the best course of action would be to help his finger
110504-3030764642.jpg
110504-6283267573.jpg
on the normal sized finger there is a nail missing but I has began regrowing I am not sure how to it happened but it doesn’t seem to bother him

Another thing i was wondering as you can see from some of my responses the lizard went throw a very traumatic experience not involving me but he seems to hate all human contact which he has every right to whenever is be handled he turns black some days he seems to like me and will even seem to prefer being on me then being on other surfaces other days he just hates everyone he doesnt bite or puff up anymore but he turns black i just want to know if there are any ways i could try to bond with him a few days ago i got him to eat out of my hand but we hasnt done it again since he also has had the circular stress makr on his belly since i got him i left him sit in the cage a few days when i got him and they have been there for a few weeks he is not always black i live in arizona so he enjoys to be outside and turns bright yellow he also is very happy to bask and cuddle with his blanket

also any food recommendations we feed him variaties of vegis and the occasional fruits but his likes change every day and the only thing he consistantly eats is lettuce and bugs

If you care about reptiles please consider reading this petition Sign the Petition

Hey! I know this post was almost a year ago, but I would love to know if your bearded dragon has gotten better. My beardie pulled his nail about 2 days ago and his nail has started to look like this. Should I get worried? I just put some ointment on his wound and I’m currently hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom