Very sick and limp adult! Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amesk

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":2d70qsco said:
I find it kinda ironic that a vet would say "Your pet has anemia, there's nothing to be done." Anemia in humans can be cured in a matter of several days by consuming vegetables with iron in them. Assuming you provide a daily salad, I don't think it makes sense for your pet to be so anemic unless she has genetic factors for it. You said she hasn't eaten bugs in a few weeks. Has she been brumating or just flat out refusing them? Also I have a few other questions.
Do you give carrots very frequently? (If so, stop.)
Did she fall recently?
Could her antibiotics be causing side effects that make her appear worse? (Don't stop the antibiotics, you gotta do the whole course, but if we knew what type they were, we could probably look up the side effects to see if they include lethargy. I'm on a cocktail of them myself and feel a whole bunch of effects.)
How often do you give a vitamin supplement?
How often do you give a calcium supplement?
Is she hydrated? (Excess wrinkles = boost the amount of leafy greens and offer water. She might not want to drink which is okay, just provide more greens.)
What color are her urates?
Is she bloated?
Does she poop as often as she normally would?
Are there any changes in her diet that may have occurred before this started?
Do you wash the produce you feed her?

Hi there,
She has refused to eat any solid foods for 3 weeks now so she is on critical care. She has never eaten any carrots and we have been making an effort to keep her very hydrated. She doesn’t look bloated and her urates are white I believe (it’s been a little while). She’s pooping every 3 days or so. She has had three calcium shots over the last 3 weeks and those levels are stable. The vet made a point that she was barely anemic and nothing of great concern. She’s not on the antibiotics anymore and she’s been acting slightly calmer. I have not seen her fall before this so I don’t really think that is the cause. No changes in diet before this, she seemed perfectly healthy and then everything went down hill one night. Hope I answered all of your questions!

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
The fact that we know so little about their biology is what makes this hard to determine. She could be going through depression–like symptoms for all we know, but reptile psychiatrists don’t exist unfortunately. Our brains are very similar to the brains of other animals. (There’s even a study out there that has shown that shrimp can develop anxiety disorder that can be treated with the same anti anxiety medications they give to people.) I’m not a vet, I’m just a 20 year old college student, so don’t take my word for anything in terms of legit advice. My only other thing would be to ask if she has a toothache or joint issues, but aside from that I can’t really think of something that could hide from so many medical examinations but cause this animal to act this way. It’s so weird, this is why I personally am going into pre-med instead of pre-vet as I don’t know how to ask an animal to tell me what’s bothering them. >.<

amesk

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":15pznl8d said:
The fact that we know so little about their biology is what makes this hard to determine. She could be going through depression–like symptoms for all we know, but reptile psychiatrists don’t exist unfortunately. Our brains are very similar to the brains of other animals. (There’s even a study out there that has shown that shrimp can develop anxiety disorder that can be treated with the same anti anxiety medications they give to people.) I’m not a vet, I’m just a 20 year old college student, so don’t take my word for anything in terms of legit advice. My only other thing would be to ask if she has a toothache or joint issues, but aside from that I can’t really think of something that could hide from so many medical examinations but cause this animal to act this way. It’s so weird, this is why I personally am going into pre-med instead of pre-vet as I don’t know how to ask an animal to tell me what’s bothering them. >.<

I suppose she could be depressed. I had to leave for school in a different city and that night is when everything went downhill. But I have left many times before that and she has always been fine because my whole family loves and cares for her so much. Right now, everyone seems to think that she is just quite old (as we are not certain of her age) and that her body is just giving up. She is not showing any signs of pain necessarily. She just won’t move expect for the few times she opens one eye and occasionally moves her head. She has not eaten or tried to eat anything on her own either. This whole situation is very difficult. : (

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, any changes or improvements thus far?
For now, do keep giving her nutritional support to help her maintain her body weight &
health.
Has her beard been dark or normal color? Has she attempted to move very much or lift her
head at all?
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

amesk

Original Poster
Drache613":rs2tg2r8 said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing, any changes or improvements thus far?
For now, do keep giving her nutritional support to help her maintain her body weight &
health.
Has her beard been dark or normal color? Has she attempted to move very much or lift her
head at all?
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Thank you for checking in!
She lifted her head up a little bit yesterday and moved her head around but did not walk.
Her beard is not as dark as it has been, but we are struggling with feeding her.
This is what we are thinking and please let me know your thoughts:
She has been refusing to eat any food on her own for 3 weeks now. We were thinking of stopping her CriticalCare and offering her solid food if she chooses to eat on her own and if she "asks" for the syringe (she will open her mouth and tilt her head a little bit when she wants it) we will give her the CriticalCare.
Trying to give her as much of a choice as possible but I also do not want to hurt her at all. What do you think we should do? Do you think this is reasonable?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear her beard wasn't as dark. Maybe she is feeling a little better?
I forgot to ask, are her gums really pale in color?
That is very reasonable for your ideas on feeding. Perhaps she might go for a few
insects, so try hand feeding first. You can always keep the baby foods & critical care
formulas nearby in case you need to give more food.
I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie

amesk

Original Poster
Drache613":39i1u9iv said:
Hello,

That is good to hear her beard wasn't as dark. Maybe she is feeling a little better?
I forgot to ask, are her gums really pale in color?
That is very reasonable for your ideas on feeding. Perhaps she might go for a few
insects, so try hand feeding first. You can always keep the baby foods & critical care
formulas nearby in case you need to give more food.
I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie

It is hard to say, but I suppose her gums are a little pale. We have had food available but it has been 2 days since she has eaten. She refuses the Critical Care, too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Try using a plastic dropper or syringe to drop food onto her nose to see if she will lick any of
that off.
Use just chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with squash or sweet potato baby food. Mix just a
small amount of blackstrap molasses for help with minerals for her.
Are you keeping her a little warmer overnight also?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

amesk

Original Poster
Hello,
We have tried dropping food on her nose, and we still are trying, but she will not eat anything. We are keeping her warm at night. She is not looking very good and it is quite sad.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry she is just not doing well. At this point, you can try getting food into using a plastic
syringe & getting it into her mouth from the side. If you can get some food into her, she might start
feeling better.
Just go gently to get her mouth open, from the side & slowly syringe some food into her in small
amounts to see how she does.
I will be thinking about you both & let us know how things are going.

Tracie

amesk

Original Poster
Hey everyone!
Mo is starting to look up! She is eating baby food now and moving her head around! She is starting to act herself again. It's a slow process, but I am beginning to have hope that she will get better. Even if she is on her way to the end, it is so wonderful that she seems happy and comfortable. I will continue to keep y'all posted. Its been a pretty crazy week!
Thank you all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful to hear she is doing much better now & becoming more active. They do
recover very slowly but it is a great sign she is showing improvement now.
She is surrounded by her family so I am sure she is happy & content. Keep up the supportive
care & giving extra love & attention for her.
Let us know how Mo is doing!

Tracie

amesk

Original Poster
Just a little update on Mo,
We are pretty surprised that she is still pushing thru! She has not eaten on her own in 2 months now, but when she "asks" for baby food, we feed her by syringe. She poops regularly and opens her eyes more! It seems like she has settled down in this state. She does not move much on her own and gets sick when she is under the heat lamp for too long, so we keep her between the cooler side and the warmer side and she can scoot over when she pleases. She turns her lighter, happier color when she is soaked or outside, so she is still feeling happy and as comfortable as she can. We don't really think she is going to be as she was before, but we will keep loving and caring for her as best we can. She is such a wonderful beardie and we are so thankful for her!

amesk

Original Poster
Hello all,
It has now been 4 months now and Mo has not eaten on her own. She barely opens her eyes and rarely moves on her own. I wish I could do something to help her. Any thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You mentioned way back your uvb is a tube Reptisun is it a T 5 or T 8 and where in the tank is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom