Will my bearded dragon survive lack of UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

aha25

Original Poster
I noticed 2 things that i missed from prior posts.
1. What type of calcium are you using for him right now? Once they develop calcium issues, it can
take a little bit of time.
Response- We are using Zoo Med Repti-Calcium and sprinkling on food 1 x per day. Plus, I tried the Exo Terra Liquid Calcium/Magnesium supplement, but he hates it and goes berserk. Jumping and spinning acting like he poisoned. So I stopped for fear he would hurt himself. Are there other suggestions.
2. Make sure you use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the hood/ fixture -- the T 5 bulb will be too strong for the 20 gallon tank I will help you get it set up so please post on here when you have everything.
Response- I am using the T 5 bulb that came with fixture. Do I need to change the setup?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am glad to hear Timmy is active and eating a little - your tank is the screen on it or not? Its hard to tell --- and the distance you have the UVB is what from where hes sitting? How long is the UVB fixture and are you sure that is a T 5 bulb in it - the hood looks to short for a T 5 bulb -- I was expecting something longer -- I would add more insects to his diet --- either crickets for now or dubia roaches I can post some websites for the roaches -- you can rinse his salads before serving so hes getting moisture from them -- has he been sitting under the UVB?
Karrie

aha25

Original Poster
I have been struggling trying to post a top view pic of the enclosure on this site. I bought the 24" Reptisum Hood T5 HO with the free 5.0 UVB bulb. The screen is on the tank in the picture. The tank is 12 inches deep, so if Timmy sits at the top of the mountain, he is about 7 inches under the UVB light. Alot of the time, he hangs off the side so he will be a few inches lower. I tried a 100W bulb with the temp probe just above the peak basking spot,the air reads 105F but the rock reads 115F with an Infared Temp gun. So, I was going to drop down from a 100W basking bulb to a 75W bulb, which is moves my temp to 101F for the air and 110F for the peak basking spot. Thoughts? BTW, does does hang out under the UVB light most all day. His favorite spot is clinging to the side of the basking mountain.

I got some of the Dubia roaches yesterday and he loves them. He ate 10 thru the day. So, mainly eating the roaches and the calcium worms and a cricket once in a while. He is eating small pieces of the greens, so will continue to work with him on that.

On a final note, I will weigh him tonight. It does not seem like he has grown at all since we got him 4 weeks ago. If I weigh him that may give more objective measure. Thanks again for the help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Drop the basking watt bulb to a 75 the basking distance of 7 inches should be good for the UVB-- you will need to download a pic of the screen like you did the first time get it from the top please
Karrie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Sometimes it seems like they haven’t grown until you look at a picture from a few weeks ago. Mari is currently almost 15 months old and I see baby pictures of her and go ? because she was so tiny but I never noticed her just becoming a giant lizard until comparing the pictures.

aha25

Original Poster
I just weighed him and he is 10 grams. We got him as a baby from store and we have had him almost 5 weeks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok it looks good --- watch the behavior now that you dropped the basking wattage and see what he does

aha25

Original Poster
Karrie can't thank you enough for helping out with our (lack of UVB Timmy). He has really started to liven up in the last few days and getting more fun to watch. We are following the program you laid out and it is definitely working. Without your clear guidance, I am sure he would be a goner. He is eating well and climbing the rocks and wood limbs in the tank. Seems you saved another one. Thanks so much for your valuable information. :D I will keep you posted on progress as we have only been doing this right for one week. He measures 7 " and 10g. , so we are expecting a growth spurt sometime in the future. Have a good night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well thank you and yeah :blob8: he is bouncing back -- you caught it in time him starting to get sick so cudos to you as well - if not for the people on this forum I would not of been much help to you---they have taught me a lot and I am still learning--- this board seems to work as a team w/ different needs of peoples issues - so w/ everyones knowledge that is a plus --- if we cant seem to fix it then a vet visit is in order --- there are websites posted for that on the ER board right at the top -- of the postings -- so keep us updated on Timmys progress and I am so glad hes doing good now - if your still using the 5.0 and when you move him into a bigger enclosure he will need the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- let me know so we can get that properly placed in the new tank -- also after you install that bulb make sure you keep track of when you put it in as it will need to be changed out in about 12 months its good to do it a month prior to
Karrie

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
KarrieRee":3frqwreu said:
Well thank you and yeah :blob8: he is bouncing back -- you caught it in time him starting to get sick so cudos to you as well - if not for the people on this forum I would not of been much help to you---they have taught me a lot and I am still learning--- this board seems to work as a team w/ different needs of peoples issues - so w/ everyones knowledge that is a plus --- if we cant seem to fix it then a vet visit is in order --- there are websites posted for that on the ER board right at the top -- of the postings -- so keep us updated on Timmys progress and I am so glad hes doing good now - if your still using the 5.0 and when you move him into a bigger enclosure he will need the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- let me know so we can get that properly placed in the new tank -- also after you install that bulb make sure you keep track of when you put it in as it will need to be changed out in about 12 months its good to do it a month prior to
Karrie

Hell yeah good job Karrie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom