Is this normal or MBD????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon was at the vet a few months ago and she said he had a bit of an underbite she she gave me calcium gluconate to supplement alongside the calcium powder I dust his food with. I also alternate with a reptivit powder. I have always used a t-18 bulb for uvb and it hangs inside his tank, I just recently replaced with a new one too. I give 3.5ml of calcium gluconate once a day for about 2 1/2 months so far-but I noticed a hump on his back I’ve never seen before. Am I crazy or is this normal?
109811-5752807287.jpg

Hello,

From what I can see, it doesn’t quite look like MBD, but I would take him to the vet just to be sure. Maybe, if you are comfortable, post a few more pictures of him from different angles. That would make it easier to tell.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I see a bit of an underbite, but it doesn't look too bad. A calcium rich diet including things like collards and turnip greens etc along with calcium rich feeder bugs like black solider fly larvae should provide adequate calcium. Especially since you're providing calcium supplement as well. The MBD may have been stopped early on. It doesn't get reversed, but progress can be halted and they can live a good life.

As far as lighting goes, how far above the main basking area is your T8? Those are best at relatively short range. If you have a large enclosure, a T5 might be a better fit in the long run. Providing high levels of UVB will help him utilize the calcium you are providing in his diet.

Julezmartin

Original Poster
He’s back to normal now.. I did notice this ring around his tail today though? I’ve never seen it before.
109811-9304290064.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their tails often shed in pieces which contributes to a striped shade/color along it. That is pretty normal/common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom