What's wrong with my setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike2020

I have a 7 or 8 month old male beardie who has mbd. I got him at 2 months old and he already had it. My issue is, I've done everything I thought right, to stop the progression but it is getting worse and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Facebook groups are very mean so I chose to come here for advice. I've attached pictures of his setup. The tank is 4ft long by 18 inches high by 18 inches wide. T5 22 inch tube Arcadia 12% light. One reptile heat light, one ceramic che, and another coil uv light on opposite end of heat light side for more uv.
Hot side is 105 cool side is 76-80 middle is around 86-92. I've been doing dubia roaches, super worms, and bsfl as food, but it has been a struggle to get him to eat since day one. There are days he will eat and days he won't. He does eat greens almost everyday. As of now he hasn't ate bugs in a week. He won't touch bsfl anymore and hardly eats the dubias. I fear he's getting worse and just want to make sure I'm doing nothing wrong. I know he needs a vet but due to covid and living two hours from any worth will reptile vet, it's not something I've been able to afford yet, but have it planned with my tax money. I just want to knownif there's anything I can do in the mean time.
108947-1269356157.jpg
108947-5635027597.jpg
108947-1384336898.jpg
108947-161657692.jpg
108947-4277122133.jpg
108947-4034383190.jpg
108947-7774709160.jpg
108947-1777525358.jpg
108947-9780888869.jpg
108947-247284002.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. Your setup looks great. The Arcadia is an excellent bulb. It looks like it's at a good height, but you may be able to get more from it if you remove some of the mesh top from underneath it. Not necessary, but an option if you want to boost what gets into the enclosure a bit. Taking him outside for natural sunlight will help when the weather permits it. You're providing some really good food options for him that are calcium rich. Dietary calcium is probably the best way to go, but if he isn't eating you may need to rely on supplements more. Has he lost any weight recently after refusing his food? You might want to consider offering a liquid calcium supplement like one of these https://bug-de-lite.com/Category/Calcium but I would be careful not to go too much with the calcium. It looks like you're handling things about as well as you can for the time being. Hopefully he will respond and start to improve.

Spike2020

Original Poster
He has lost weight, and I thought he was impacted. But yesterday he took a poo and is still eating his greens. I can easily remove some of the mesh as this is a completely homemade tank so I will try that. Thank you!

Spike2020

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":22arqler said:
Gr rid of them uvbcoil bulb is absolutely useless especially since u have the arcadia

Ok will do. I was just worried the one I had wasn't long enough, even though he stays on that part of the tank under the heat lamp and Arcadia more often than anything.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that really is a beautiful set up ! I'm sorry that Spike has had this problem despite your great care. I think you can get him more uvb access by actually fastening the fixture under the screen like I have in this picture using any type of wire that can go through the screen holes:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

Does he have any trouble getting around and does he use the ladder + higher areas of his enclosure ? I would remove the ladder and replace it with a flat log that is directly under the uvb bulb. Try to move the uvb closer to the middle of the screen too.

Spike2020

Original Poster
Thank you, I really wanted something nice and custom for him.. He does have a hard time getting around now, he has stopped using one of his back legs so I actually removed all his stuff that let's him get up high. When I put him in the bath now, he tends to keep turned almost like he's in a half circle, like one whole side doesn't work. Do you think I should switch j to a t8 tube light for inside mounting or does that matter? Also, I keep being told the tube isn't long enough even though he sticks to one side of the tank mostly. He used to get around and climb all over everything, now he wont do much let alone bask.

AHBD":scn7nu2k said:
Wow, that really is a beautiful set up ! I'm sorry that Spike has had this problem despite your great care. I think you can get him more uvb access by actually fastening the fixture under the screen like I have in this picture using any type of wire that can go through the screen holes:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

Does he have any trouble getting around and does he use the ladder + higher areas of his enclosure ? I would remove the ladder and replace it with a flat log that is directly under the uvb bulb. Try to move the uvb closer to the middle of the screen too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As long as he spends most of his time under the uvb it's fine. BTW, baths in the electrolyte stuff won't benefit him unless he drinks. If he does, that's fine though. Save your money next time and just get some Repta boost if you want to give him a bit of a supplement, no hurry though. It's good that you've taken most of the climbing stuff out, just put in a flat log for him to perch on. You can use the uvb bulbs you have.

Spike2020

Original Poster
Thanks for your help and input. I finally have got an opportunity for. Vet visit next week so I'm hoping they will help too.

AHBD":3dojxm7d said:
As long as he spends most of his time under the uvb it's fine. BTW, baths in the electrolyte stuff won't benefit him unless he drinks. If he does, that's fine though. Save your money next time and just get some Repta boost if you want to give him a bit of a supplement, no hurry though. It's good that you've taken most of the climbing stuff out, just put in a flat log for him to perch on. You can use the uvb bulbs you have.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Lovely setup! Sorry you had a bad experience on FB; I find that most groups there are full of drama queens and soapbox preachers, which you won't find here. (Some of our posters are rather direct, but they don't intend to be mean!) This is the only place I come for beardie info.

That said, I want to toss out the question to you and the other posters who have given advice - would upping your UV to a 14% be useful for MBD, or would that be too strong for an 18" tank? If not a 14%, would it be worthwhile to look into getting a 36" long fixture and bulb at 12%? I honestly don't know, it just occurred to me, and I thought I'd offer it up.

Spike2020

Original Poster
I'm wondering the same. Also wondering if it matters the difference between a t8 and t5 bulb. I'm definitely going to get a longer tube because I know it can't hurt so I'm going for the 36. But wondering about strengths as well if mounting inside.

ComicBookMama":2tmv0xhc said:
Lovely setup! Sorry you had a bad experience on FB; I find that most groups there are full of drama queens and soapbox preachers, which you won't find here. (Some of our posters are rather direct, but they don't intend to be mean!) This is the only place I come for beardie info.

That said, I want to toss out the question to you and the other posters who have given advice - would upping your UV to a 14% be useful for MBD, or would that be too strong for an 18" tank? If not a 14%, would it be worthwhile to look into getting a 36" long fixture and bulb at 12%? I honestly don't know, it just occurred to me, and I thought I'd offer it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom