Treating coccidia with repaid?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Treating coccidia with repaid?

Postby Staygold » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:15 am

Hi everybody. I got a fecal exam done on my 17 month old bearded dragon because she hasn't been eating a lot and has been sleeping most of the day for a couple weeks now . The results came back and the vet said she needs to come in to get medicine. The soonest vet appointment I can get isn't until Thursday. I have heard that the medications can have harsh side effects on the dragons and I read somewhere that reptaid will help get rid of coccidia. Is this true? I would prefer not to give her harsh medicines if possible. Does anybody know anything about the reptaid and if it helps with high coccidia counts?
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Treating coccidia with repaid?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:52 am

Blaze had coccidia here not long ago my vet put him on Albon and Panacur - Albon is pretty harsh he seemed to do well --- his appetite was effected and he wasnt eating alot to begin w/ and slowed even more but his behavior didnt change to much either --- I dont know if all these factors played a role I am assuming it did - his appetite diminished more sleeping more less active but its hard to tell as he was doing this before the meds and it is winter time - since then he is eating now not a lot but at least hes eating not losing weight and I was concerned w/ dehydration but this morning he took a good poop first one since taking the last sample in for testing which was a couple of weeks ago and hes hydrated - I have had him in the bath 2 times once he drank last bath he did not -- I ended up ordering some horn worms to help w / the dehydration for him and Hiccup who is more dehydrated than him -- he did not have coccidia --- I will say to take everything out of the tank except one basking piece and one hide anything else take it out so you dont have to constantly clean it --- I have tile in my tanks and it was a pain in the butt to take that tank apart every time they pooped --- it needs to be disinfected w/ either F -10 -- Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out every time he poops -- I would use some paper towels for now if you dont have a substrate like textured NON adhesive shelf liner or tile --- as far as Reptaid and killing coccidia that would need to be answered by Tracie our vet tech mod or AHBD ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Staygold » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:20 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Blaze had coccidia here not long ago my vet put him on Albon and Panacur - Albon is pretty harsh he seemed to do well --- his appetite was effected and he wasnt eating alot to begin w/ and slowed even more but his behavior didnt change to much either --- I dont know if all these factors played a role I am assuming it did - his appetite diminished more sleeping more less active but its hard to tell as he was doing this before the meds and it is winter time - since then he is eating now not a lot but at least hes eating not losing weight and I was concerned w/ dehydration but this morning he took a good poop first one since taking the last sample in for testing which was a couple of weeks ago and hes hydrated - I have had him in the bath 2 times once he drank last bath he did not -- I ended up ordering some horn worms to help w / the dehydration for him and Hiccup who is more dehydrated than him -- he did not have coccidia --- I will say to take everything out of the tank except one basking piece and one hide anything else take it out so you dont have to constantly clean it --- I have tile in my tanks and it was a pain in the butt to take that tank apart every time they pooped --- it needs to be disinfected w/ either F -10 -- Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out every time he poops -- I would use some paper towels for now if you dont have a substrate like textured NON adhesive shelf liner or tile --- as far as Reptaid and killing coccidia that would need to be answered by Tracie our vet tech mod or AHBD ---
Karrie

Okay. Thank you for the input. Originally I thought it was brumation because she was sleeping all day and not eating a lot but it has been going on over a couple weeks now, hence the reason I took in a fecal sample. The sample said she has coccidia count of 4 +. I am ordering a steamer to clean her cage from now on because I looked it up and apparently lots of cleaning products are ineffective against coccidia. The only things my research came up with to clean up coccidia is a steamer and ammonia. I did see the Zoo Med wipe out while I was looking for cleaners yesterday but I didn't see anything specific about coccidia. I will probably order some of that as well. I am constantly disinfecting everything when she poops, but I guess the trifectant I got from the reptile store is not doing the trick, or maybe I'm not leaving it on there long enough. I was told I could just spray it in her cage and leave it there without rinsing oh, except the warnings on the side of the bottle scared me and I didn't want to do that
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:00 pm

I use the F-10 but I got in a while back it's a vet disinfect and it kills everything - rescue is another one recommended by Cooper dragon you might have better luck finding that one- I can't find F-10 anywhere now in the states-
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Staygold » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:06 pm

KarrieRee wrote:I use the F-10 but I got in a while back it's a vet disinfect and it kills everything - rescue is another one recommended by Cooper dragon you might have better luck finding that one- I can't find F-10 anywhere now in the states-
Karrie

Okay. Thank you. I will look them both up. But I am finding that shipping costs are almost as much as the product to get it to Canada, and I live on a fixed income so would prefer not to have to pay over $30 in shipping fees.
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Check your areas in Canada- Google the disinfectants or call.your vets office and get a recommendation from them
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Staygold » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:48 am

KarrieRee wrote:Check your areas in Canada- Google the disinfectants or call.your vets office and get a recommendation from them

Ok. Thank you
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:06 am

Using a steamer and an ammonia solution in a spray bottle should do the trick for disinfecting. Using disposable substrate like newspaper or butcher paper or paper towels for now is a good idea as well. I doubt Reptaid would be effective against coccidia. The Albon that Karrie mentioned seems to have harsh side effects in a lot of cases and I recommend avoiding it if possible. Ponazuril is often prescribed to treat Coccidia and it seems to be much less harsh on them while being quite effective against the Coccidia. A combination of proper meds and thorough cleaning/sanitization of anything that comes in contact with poop during and for a while after treatment should prevent reinfection.
CooperDragon

Postby Staygold » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Using a steamer and an ammonia solution in a spray bottle should do the trick for disinfecting. Using disposable substrate like newspaper or butcher paper or paper towels for now is a good idea as well. I doubt Reptaid would be effective against coccidia. The Albon that Karrie mentioned seems to have harsh side effects in a lot of cases and I recommend avoiding it if possible. Ponazuril is often prescribed to treat Coccidia and it seems to be much less harsh on them while being quite effective against the Coccidia. A combination of proper meds and thorough cleaning/sanitization of anything that comes in contact with poop during and for a while after treatment should prevent reinfection.

Ok. I did order a steamer for her, and I have taken some stuff out of her cage for the time being. Her vet appointment is tomorrow, I will ask the doctor for the ponazuril if it is easier on her. Thank you.
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER