Almost no appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie "brumated" for maybe 48 hours. He then was back to his old self for awhile, wanting to play and explore, eating decently. But in the last two weeks I've noticed that his appetite has seriously dropped off. He's never been much of a vegetable eater, but he's even turning his nose up at blueberries and red peppers, his favorites. He's never been shy about eating proteins, but this last few weeks he has not had any interest in his dubia roaches. He'll watch me get them ready, cocking his head to the sound of them in the plastic bin or to the bowl I dust them in, but then refuses to eat them.
I tried to get superworms at the local pet store but the staff there tell me that our temperatures are preventing deliveries from coming. So there aren't any superworms to be found and the dubias will eventually be an issue too. I've heard that some beardies like eggs. Is that an option to get him some protein? Do you give it to them raw? Are there other options?
I do not know if he's lost any weight. I'm still trying to get a scale for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For his appetite being off not really--- they all seem to slow down on the eating thing in the winter that is normal --- if hes eating something thats good --- for insects/ worms --- you can order from here
www.reptilianarts.com they have silk worms super worms and roaches --- its better to order on line than rely on the pet stores -- there is also www.dubiaroaches.com and I have other websites as well but for now since hes not eating much I would still offer salads -- the thing about roaches is they last a long time crickets not so much same w/ the super worms -- I would have you try silk worms he may eat those they are a great staple feeder if you do order them only get like 10 or 20 to see if he will eat them now -- they are so hard to feed when they are doing this
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Karrie, I knew you'd have some ideas. My biggest issue with ordering online is that because Charlie belongs to the library, I usually only buy his food from places that I can get an invoice, i.e. local stores. We do have the option to pay for items online and get reimbursed, but it's a slow process and my husband doesn't want me to (he's a pain in the butt.)

Right now I'll just keep offering food as usual and see what happens. We ordered a scale today. I think Charlie's issue comes from our crazy weather. We've had days this month in the 50s (F), then within a week it's blizzarding and the wind-chill is below zero. He's active and shows no sign of dehydration, just less of an appetite than I am comfortable with.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Most places send receipts for orders online as well.as email receipts- please get a weight on him and follow him-- I keep charts on my dragons--- he should have a weight of 300+ grams for an adult-
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I called yesterday and got Charlie an appointment at the vet, more for wellness than any big concern. She saw him this morning and pronounced him healthy, weighing 440 grams. She said that he's probably confused by the weather, and that explains his lack of appetite. Thankfully I don't have to worry about the bill, she takes care of the local police dogs and the local zoo animals, so they were very willing to bill the city for Charlie's needs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
440g is pretty good. They do go through phases like this without eating as much and will be picky about certain foods. Then they return to usual after a while. Darwin wouldn't touch his roaches for several months and all of a sudden he's eating a dozen of them at a time (that's a lot for him). I'm glad Charlie got cleared by the vet. His behavior is in line with what I've seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom