Female being aggressive

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Female being aggressive

Postby TheBeard9789 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:34 pm

I have a older male (almost 3 yrs old) and a female ( 7 months) and when I put them together outside their enclosure i observe them and she bobs puffs beard and will ram/peck at him strange thing is its a new behavior for her she hasn't always been aggressive to him he doesnt even give her any attention either maybe it's that or hormones? His personality is very stoic laid back and wicked friendly hes also in a semi-brumation period so they are not together outside their enclosures

Any help is appreciated Thank You
TheBeard9789
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Female being aggressive

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm

Not sure w/ that behavior but I would keep them apart --- it sounds like shes trying to provoke him and that type of behavior you dont want him responding -- and unless you want babies I would keep them apart for that reason as well --- dragons are territorial and she may be doing this as to protect her territory --- dragons fighting is not a pretty thing and some bad wounds could occur including death --- you are housing them separately correct?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby TheBeard9789 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 am

KarrieRee wrote:Not sure w/ that behavior but I would keep them apart --- it sounds like shes trying to provoke him and that type of behavior you dont want him responding -- and unless you want babies I would keep them apart for that reason as well --- dragons are territorial and she may be doing this as to protect her territory --- dragons fighting is not a pretty thing and some bad wounds could occur including death --- you are housing them separately correct?
Karrie

Correct 2 different enclosures they havent ever been in a enclosure together only time they are together is if I take both of them out
TheBeard9789
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:50 pm

I would not take them out together- if she's showing signs of aggressiveness - it's going to stress him out--- and there could be some bad repricussions from it
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby TheBeard9789 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:22 am

KarrieRee wrote:I would not take them out together- if she's showing signs of aggressiveness - it's going to stress him out--- and there could be some bad repricussions from it

Was thinking the same thing as of right now hes in a semi-brumation so he hasnt seen/been with her outside the enclosure in a few weeks now it just kinda puzzles me why its starting now all of a sudden
TheBeard9789
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:38 am

Her response is due to her seeing him as a threat .

She's trying to drive him away.

I've see this before .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby TheBeard9789 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:57 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Her response is due to her seeing him as a threat .

She's trying to drive him away.

I've see this before .

True didnt think of that I was hoping it was hormones bc I dont wanna keep them apart forever 😒 but they are my responsibility and their safety comes 1st just strange 1 moment they are cuddling next to each other a few weeks ago to now it's her being aggressive
TheBeard9789
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior