Concern for baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a four month old beardie named Zoey that I love to death. I recently (about three days ago) moved her into a new 55 gallon tank, and she hasn't really been the same since. She's gotten much darker and refuses to move from her hammock, which is closest to the basking spot. She REFUSES to move to any other side of the tank, so I'm worried she's not getting UVB. She's also been more stubborn with eating her veggies, but that might just be bearded dragon eating habits.
What concerns me the most is that she won't sleep in her tank. I'll put on her night heater that I made sure didn't emit seeable light, and she'll just cling to the side of the hammock. I made sure that I have the correct UVB, basking, and night heater, but she refuses. The only time she'll become active or sleep is when I take her out of her tank to play. I'd let her sleep with me, but she's so small, it's winter, and I have two cats and a door that doesn't close. I don't know what to do and I'm really worried because she means the world to me. Am I doing something wrong?? Should I take her to the vet??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your baby is going through relocation stress and will get over it in time so just be patient. Being moved to a new tank will do it, is it in the same room ? Definitely do NOT let her sleep with you, they can get killed that way . Can you post pics of the tank showing the lights as well ? But no, Zoey doesn't need a vet, she just needs time to adjust , this is pretty common. She'll be O.K

noipownsonic

Original Poster
AHBD":4a2mbxeh said:
Hi there, your baby is going through relocation stress and will get over it in time so just be patient. Being moved to a new tank will do it, is it in the same room ? Definitely do NOT let her sleep with you, they can get killed that way . Can you post pics of the tank showing the lights as well ? But no, Zoey doesn't need a vet, she just needs time to adjust , this is pretty common. She'll be O.K
Thank you so much for replying, here's my setup. I just put it in so it's going to be upgraded soon with a different substrate and more enrichment, it's in the same room as before!! blob:https://mail.google.com/2ca07850-a6e3-44c1-9bf0-7aafd12bc598

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes the pics showed up now. :) A 55 gal.. is a tall tank and you need to put another 1-2 large basking logs in there so Zoey can get closet to the uvb. What type of uvb bulb is it ?

noipownsonic

Original Poster
AHBD":2ic5rhpq said:
Yes the pics showed up now. :) A 55 gal.. is a tall tank and you need to put another 1-2 large basking logs in there so Zoey can get closet to the uvb. What type of uvb bulb is it ?
I think it's called a T8 10.0 ubv bulb?? It's 17 watts.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Baby Beardies are like snacks to many animals so they instinctively will climb to the highest point possible. Don’t worry, this is completely normal behavior and means that your beardie still has survival instincts in mind. I’d get a high uvb basking platform so she will feel safe if she wants to go over there. Also I do not recommend those types of hammocks as they break toes and are impossible to clean. You can make one out of fleece by simply cutting a triangle that fits in the tank & tying on the suction cups.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think it's called a T8 10.0 ubv bulb?? It's 17 watts.
Your T 8 needs to be inside the tank I cant tell because of the glare but it should be inside your tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking spot -- T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months I recommend a month prior to -- you can use these to hang w/
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers or this I use these and they work great they re like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your hood https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Karrie

noipownsonic

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":57pan12o said:
Baby Beardies are like snacks to many animals so they instinctively will climb to the highest point possible. Don’t worry, this is completely normal behavior and means that your beardie still has survival instincts in mind. I’d get a high uvb basking platform so she will feel safe if she wants to go over there. Also I do not recommend those types of hammocks as they break toes and are impossible to clean. You can make one out of fleece by simply cutting a triangle that fits in the tank & tying on the suction cups.
Thank you so much for telling me, I'll get a new one asap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom