T5 HO Reptisun 10.0 @ 10 inches too close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I feel nuts asking about this again I've made so many threads about this but i have a T5 HO 10.0 and only 17 inches high tank. I am getting a 4x2x2 pvc enclosure made and will have all the fittings inside but its weeks maybe month or so out. I am really concerned because my baby does not bask much anymore she is pooping and what not but i want to encourage more basking. Every time someone tells me that the 10.0 T5 is fine @ 10 inches some places in my tank are even closer. I stop tripping but lately it seems like she doesn't want much to do with it seems like. If my tank is only 17 inches high she is a big girl too so gotta take into account her on the decor. If shes on the decor she is only 12 inches away from the screen max. Does anyone think that she would be ok if it sat on top i have read other people telling people with that ontop is fine with a reflector so now i am confused and wondering. Please peeps let me know what yall think. Im concerned its just a lil much for her lately. oh and i have the reptisun reflector fixture.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
T 5's need to be 12-15 inches in the tank w/ a fine mesh screen - the screen blocks 30% approx of those rays-- please adjust the distance it's easier to move decor-- then watch the behavior-- how long is she basking? And is it uvb only or both heat as well?
Karrie

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
its just uvb and even moving decor shes still like 10 no matter how i put it. Will it above screen get to her at 12 inches

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's really just a range as a general guide. If it is above the screen, it will be a bit weaker output over the basking area, but not lessened enough to cause much problem. Especially since the enclosure is being replaced eventually. Same goes for if it's too close. She will be able to sense it and move to the side where it isn't so intense if she wants to.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Ok thank you yeah she just doesn’t have many places to his from it if she wants and I had it on the top of her 40 gallon which was the same height for a long time before I put it inside. I’m gonna get a new Arcadia bar and send it to the enclosure guy that is building the pvc tank. What size do y’all recommend I get for it a 4x2x2 ? I won’t have this same problem distance wise in the 4x2x2 because I’ll have 7 more inches to play with

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A 24'' fixture should be enough to allow for even basking. The 36'' would work too, but I'd mount it toward the front or back rather than centered in order to create a bit of a gradient with lower UVB areas. I wouldn't install anything larger than that in a 4x2x2.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
So you think the 24 would be good mounted mor in the middle of the pvc enclosure? I have the 36 in this one and seems like it’s too much coverage like I said seems like she doesn’t have anywhere to go.but she will have more floor space to hide from it as well so yeah maybe I’ll just stick with the 36. Thank you both of you for your replies

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would mount it right next to the basking light. With the 24'' you could put it at an angle to get more of it close to the basking light. Otherwise you could set it toward the front or the back a bit and have them sit side by side.

Not the best example, but when I use the 24'' on my enclosure I set it at an angle with the basking light next to it. You could do something similar to that.
76248-9137766766.jpg

With my 36'' I set it along the front of the enclosure which provides a gradient toward the back of the enclosure.
76248-4037503768.jpg

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Yeah so Freyja is to the point where she’s not even basking I’m pretty sure it’s the uvb, it’s almost like she’s hiding from it. Spends all her time on the cool side now out of the uvb. The tank is 17 inches so pretty much any decor puts her within 10 inches of it and I don’t want to just have her in a bare tank. I think I’m gonna put it back on the top until I get the pvc enclosure here.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
It’s going on the second full day that she’s hardly basked and doesn’t want to eat anything

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She might just be going through a slower phase and it's coincidental. You can try leaving the UVB light off and just provide a heat light for a couple of days and see how she responds. If she continues to avoid the basking area, then it may not be the UVB at fault.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do you have it in the tank? I would take the screen off and set it on top of the tank-- what is the distance if you do that?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
it would be 17 inches everywhere and places on the decor that reaches 12 inches from the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom