New owner and need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickett

Hello,
I recently got my beardie. I need some advice about its care and also to know if im doing anything wrong. The petstore I got it from was a local place that was a little bit strange. The first one they gave me died in about a day or 2 (Was sick i believe). I went back a couple weeks later and they gave me a free new one. I’m asking for advice because of the past experience with the one I had before. Ive had this one for about 2 weeks and it is doing very well. It eats nonstop. I give it around 20-40 crickets a day (juvenile). I also offer it greens although it only eats the greens when they start to dry which is weird. Is that enough food? He’s always looking for more. Also, it is always stressed. The only time it's not stressed is when it eats, then right after the beard and stomach turn very dark. The temps in the viv are 100 (100w bulb i have a spare 75 if that’s too much) basking and 80 on the cool side. It never really goes to the basking spot and instead lays on a log near the basking spot but in the middle of the viv. Right now its shedding which could be a factor? Its also glass surfs often but lately not as much. Is there something I am doing that is upsetting him? Is the layout of the tank (20gal) incorrect? Another thing is this one isn’t as calm. Sometimes i’ll lay my hand in the tank and it will walk up to it and run away and escape the tank but doesn’t try to bite or anything like that.
110349-2797876643.jpg
110349-4037945080.jpg

nickett

Original Poster
One more thing is that my beardie used to get scared of its reflection and would attack it sometimes so I had to put cardboard on the sides to prevent that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you sanitize the tank before putting the new dragon in the tank? Since you think he was sick and dont know what he had its possible he could get the last dragons illness if you didnt-- it should of been sanitized w/ some F -10 or Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out
The two MOST important things in the tank are basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and they should be taken on the spot where he sits temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie / adult --- the next thing is a UVB this controls the behavior and over all health of the dragon NO coils -- you need a long tube fixture for a UVB like thishttps://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
Please look on Amazon this place is out of stock --- please order this ASAP --
If you have anymore questions please ask
Karrie

nickett

Original Poster
Thank your for you’re reply,
I did switch out the mat and took out some other things and cleaned it. Does this look any better? Would there be any other suggestions you would make?
110349-6469578068.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the UVB hoods length? Is that a 30?
Please post a pic of the screen
We need to properly place the UVB
Karrie

nickett

Original Poster
It’s 22” and the bulb is 18” the entire tank is 20 gallons. I would add a picture but i am not home. One more thing, is this yellowish discoloration anything to worry about? Could be the lighting but just worried it could be yellow fungus. This pic is from earlier
110349-4706566124.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take a better pic so we can see the area in question please- the T 8 needs to be unobstructed w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb if there is one and No screen - if you haf't to take the UVB and set it width wise across the tank on one end- the basking decor should be directly underneath the UVB approx 6-8 inches if you need more help please ask

nickett

Original Poster
There is no plastic covering over the UVB. the positioning of it is about 6-8 inches over the basking area as well. Here are some pics of it. Thank you for your help.
110349-7808938566.jpg
110349-9061894263.jpg
110349-4643481765.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good deal --- if you can post pics of the area your concerned about that would be great
Karrie

nickett

Original Poster
110349-692300005.jpg
110349-6693547172.jpg
Hello again sorry for a late reply but here are 2 areas i’m concerned about. Does this look like stuck shed to you. He fully shed the rest of his body about a week or 2 ago but on his arms and tail there is still shed. I can’t pick him up and bathe him because he gets super scared when i’ve tried to. He’s been super scared since even before I got him. He’s been getting better each day tho.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy to me. I don't see signs of a problem. The yellow coloring looks like natural scale color and nothing to worry about. If baths and handling cause him stress, it's OK to avoid them. He should be able to finish the shed on his own without much issue. Sometimes the sheds just take a while and happen in patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom