HELP Large Bloody Scab on my beardies face!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elivarvia

My bearded dragon, George, has had quite the big scab on his face for a month or more now. We have tried to use honey to help him (as per the forums suggested). His condition is sadly not getting any better and I'm very worried we're doing something wrong. I've attached an image (it's not very good, if you need a better picture please let me know..). Any advice helps, this is my first beardie so I'm very inexperienced. Thank you for anyone who replies with advice/his possible
110344-2090512412.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my! What happened, did he rub his snout on the side of his tank & how long has this
been present?
If raw unpasteurized honey has not done anything, I would highly recommend trying to get
him to a vet. It could also be yellow fungus, but not sure. They could do a skin culture to
determine that.
Has this affected his eating at all?
They may need to debride some of this tissue, it is hard to tell.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I echo the other comments. That looks quite serious and should be seen by an experienced vet as soon as you can.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor George, how did this start ? As others stated you need a reptile vet, or any vet if you can't find one that treats reptiles. The raw honey is a great treatment for any wound but this needs professional help ASAP. Best wishes for your baby, he's in rough shape and no doubt is suffering.

elivarvia

Original Poster
Drache613":p2ivaspd said:
Hello,

Oh my! What happened, did he rub his snout on the side of his tank & how long has this
been present?
If raw unpasteurized honey has not done anything, I would highly recommend trying to get
him to a vet. It could also be yellow fungus, but not sure. They could do a skin culture to
determine that.
Has this affected his eating at all?
They may need to debride some of this tissue, it is hard to tell.

Tracie

We have no idea how it occurred :( It's been there for about a month and a half, started the honey about 4 weeks ago. Just scheduled an appointment for him to get checked out by the vet! Thanks for the response.

elivarvia

Original Poster
AHBD":1y8dswpt said:
Poor George, how did this start ? As others stated you need a reptile vet, or any vet if you can't find one that treats reptiles. The raw honey is a great treatment for any wound but this needs professional help ASAP. Best wishes for your baby, he's in rough shape and no doubt is suffering.

Unfortunately, we have no idea how it started. One day it appeared bloody so I looked into it and found honey might help, since then it hasn't gotten better and only seems to be growing. We just set up an appointment for the vet on Friday! Thank you for the kind wishes and for your response. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know how things go at the vets. He really is in some critical condition there.
We are all pulling for him & hope that he can get some treatment. That will undoubtedly be
a tremendous challenge for the vet.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom