HELP WITH UVB PLACEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all i bought the tank pictured below for a rankins dragon, Exo Terra Glass Terrarium Large/Low 90cm wide x45cm deep x30cm high. i have the Arcadia ProT5 UVB, 22in/24w Desert 12% UVb, now the mesh top is very fine so i have cut out a section to the dimensions of the uvb bulb and replaced with chicken wire that has big holes, so now the uvb it sat on top of the mesh on the tank unobstructed as i believe i cannot mount it inside as the tank is only 30cm high is this ok? please see pictures below and i have tried to do a diagram of how i have it at the moment, if anything looks wrong any suggestions/help would be welcome, all temps are fine 104f basking spot taken with temp gun and a digital probe on it cool side sits around 75f/80f, humidity is always arount 35/40,

110267-8857670971.jpg
110267-8677354403.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
With it sitting on top of the screen you can try the 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- watch the behavior of the dragon- if he starts hiding from the UVB its gonna be too strong -- but you should be able to have it placed like that - the screen will cut down some of the rays but w/ it only being only 12" high it could go into the tank but it would need to get strapped to the top of the screen - so try the top of screen first--
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you don't have any other animals in the house, you could leave the top off of it. That's what I do with mine (although it's the taller version). The mesh does block some of the UVB, but with a T5 you can still build the main basking site up to around 20-25cm below the UVB light and it should still produce plenty of UVB without having to cut the screen. You might also want to set the UVB light at an angle next to the basking light which will allow you to get the strongest UVB a bit closer to the strongest/hottest basking area.

Here is a photo with a T5 24'' fixture at an angle like I mentioned.

76248-9137766766.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom