Treating coccidia with repaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staygold

Hi everybody. I got a fecal exam done on my 17 month old bearded dragon because she hasn't been eating a lot and has been sleeping most of the day for a couple weeks now . The results came back and the vet said she needs to come in to get medicine. The soonest vet appointment I can get isn't until Thursday. I have heard that the medications can have harsh side effects on the dragons and I read somewhere that reptaid will help get rid of coccidia. Is this true? I would prefer not to give her harsh medicines if possible. Does anybody know anything about the reptaid and if it helps with high coccidia counts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Blaze had coccidia here not long ago my vet put him on Albon and Panacur - Albon is pretty harsh he seemed to do well --- his appetite was effected and he wasnt eating alot to begin w/ and slowed even more but his behavior didnt change to much either --- I dont know if all these factors played a role I am assuming it did - his appetite diminished more sleeping more less active but its hard to tell as he was doing this before the meds and it is winter time - since then he is eating now not a lot but at least hes eating not losing weight and I was concerned w/ dehydration but this morning he took a good poop first one since taking the last sample in for testing which was a couple of weeks ago and hes hydrated - I have had him in the bath 2 times once he drank last bath he did not -- I ended up ordering some horn worms to help w / the dehydration for him and Hiccup who is more dehydrated than him -- he did not have coccidia --- I will say to take everything out of the tank except one basking piece and one hide anything else take it out so you dont have to constantly clean it --- I have tile in my tanks and it was a pain in the butt to take that tank apart every time they pooped --- it needs to be disinfected w/ either F -10 -- Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out every time he poops -- I would use some paper towels for now if you dont have a substrate like textured NON adhesive shelf liner or tile --- as far as Reptaid and killing coccidia that would need to be answered by Tracie our vet tech mod or AHBD ---
Karrie

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2lvxgnf6 said:
Blaze had coccidia here not long ago my vet put him on Albon and Panacur - Albon is pretty harsh he seemed to do well --- his appetite was effected and he wasnt eating alot to begin w/ and slowed even more but his behavior didnt change to much either --- I dont know if all these factors played a role I am assuming it did - his appetite diminished more sleeping more less active but its hard to tell as he was doing this before the meds and it is winter time - since then he is eating now not a lot but at least hes eating not losing weight and I was concerned w/ dehydration but this morning he took a good poop first one since taking the last sample in for testing which was a couple of weeks ago and hes hydrated - I have had him in the bath 2 times once he drank last bath he did not -- I ended up ordering some horn worms to help w / the dehydration for him and Hiccup who is more dehydrated than him -- he did not have coccidia --- I will say to take everything out of the tank except one basking piece and one hide anything else take it out so you dont have to constantly clean it --- I have tile in my tanks and it was a pain in the butt to take that tank apart every time they pooped --- it needs to be disinfected w/ either F -10 -- Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out every time he poops -- I would use some paper towels for now if you dont have a substrate like textured NON adhesive shelf liner or tile --- as far as Reptaid and killing coccidia that would need to be answered by Tracie our vet tech mod or AHBD ---
Karrie
Okay. Thank you for the input. Originally I thought it was brumation because she was sleeping all day and not eating a lot but it has been going on over a couple weeks now, hence the reason I took in a fecal sample. The sample said she has coccidia count of 4 +. I am ordering a steamer to clean her cage from now on because I looked it up and apparently lots of cleaning products are ineffective against coccidia. The only things my research came up with to clean up coccidia is a steamer and ammonia. I did see the Zoo Med wipe out while I was looking for cleaners yesterday but I didn't see anything specific about coccidia. I will probably order some of that as well. I am constantly disinfecting everything when she poops, but I guess the trifectant I got from the reptile store is not doing the trick, or maybe I'm not leaving it on there long enough. I was told I could just spray it in her cage and leave it there without rinsing oh, except the warnings on the side of the bottle scared me and I didn't want to do that

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I use the F-10 but I got in a while back it's a vet disinfect and it kills everything - rescue is another one recommended by Cooper dragon you might have better luck finding that one- I can't find F-10 anywhere now in the states-
Karrie

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3p7euidm said:
I use the F-10 but I got in a while back it's a vet disinfect and it kills everything - rescue is another one recommended by Cooper dragon you might have better luck finding that one- I can't find F-10 anywhere now in the states-
Karrie
Okay. Thank you. I will look them both up. But I am finding that shipping costs are almost as much as the product to get it to Canada, and I live on a fixed income so would prefer not to have to pay over $30 in shipping fees.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Check your areas in Canada- Google the disinfectants or call.your vets office and get a recommendation from them

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Using a steamer and an ammonia solution in a spray bottle should do the trick for disinfecting. Using disposable substrate like newspaper or butcher paper or paper towels for now is a good idea as well. I doubt Reptaid would be effective against coccidia. The Albon that Karrie mentioned seems to have harsh side effects in a lot of cases and I recommend avoiding it if possible. Ponazuril is often prescribed to treat Coccidia and it seems to be much less harsh on them while being quite effective against the Coccidia. A combination of proper meds and thorough cleaning/sanitization of anything that comes in contact with poop during and for a while after treatment should prevent reinfection.

Staygold

Original Poster
CooperDragon":174bwri2 said:
Using a steamer and an ammonia solution in a spray bottle should do the trick for disinfecting. Using disposable substrate like newspaper or butcher paper or paper towels for now is a good idea as well. I doubt Reptaid would be effective against coccidia. The Albon that Karrie mentioned seems to have harsh side effects in a lot of cases and I recommend avoiding it if possible. Ponazuril is often prescribed to treat Coccidia and it seems to be much less harsh on them while being quite effective against the Coccidia. A combination of proper meds and thorough cleaning/sanitization of anything that comes in contact with poop during and for a while after treatment should prevent reinfection.
Ok. I did order a steamer for her, and I have taken some stuff out of her cage for the time being. Her vet appointment is tomorrow, I will ask the doctor for the ponazuril if it is easier on her. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom