Harness for dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave93245

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to this forum and had a question about harnesses for bearded dragons.
First off I have a Dragon named Jim after Jim Morrison "The Lizard king" he is 16" long now, about 5 months old and 279g healthy and happy. I have all of the needed lighting including a MVB set-up in a 100 gal tank temps are good about 105 on his basking spot and this time of year a little cold out his cool side runs about 76 on average. He eats his veggies and dubia roaches most of the time. The question is about harnesses I bought a harness the kind with a leather piece that has two holes for his arms, its a real struggle to get him in it. I was wondering if there are better harnesses and what are some recommendations. The one I have fits him well enough but he can pull his legs out very quickly if he wants to, I don't want to make it too tight and I don't want something that may cause him undue stress although he did not show much stress over it when I tried it on him. Jim is a pretty low stress dragon over all he does not gape or puff his beard up often and rarely darkens unless he is cold and trying to warm up. I have looked around and may missed it, but did not see any discussions on the harness subject.
110261-3980414579.jpg

There are some that you can make with paracord and beads. So basically the beads hold the paracord in place while it goes over and under it arms, it is adjustable, and simple to make, it is also easier to get your beardie into.

dave93245

Original Poster
I have seen something like that, they sound good maybe ill look into that kind of setup. Spring will be along soon and I look forward to more out door activities.

if you look up ferret harnesses, they have some good options that might work for a beardie! Ive never tried it myself but ive seen someone say they like it

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I hate the kind that go over the arms because they are not very nice about it and will pull their arm out as you go to put the loop around the second arm ? what I use is a hip harness and it’s just a loop that goes around the waist above the hind legs since they can’t wiggle out of that. They can very well escape the chests harnesses.

dave93245

Original Poster
I had the same experience with the leather piece, Jim would wait until I almost had it set then walk away pulling his legs out with ease. I have seen a couple of pictures with hip harnesses in them was not sure exactly how that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom