Possible Impaction and Vomiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucip

Hello! I have a 5-year-old beardie whose recently fallen ill.

I noticed that he stopped eating and had very black beard about a week ago. He began vomiting around the same time, and just didn't feel good overall. After taking him to the vet, they suggested he could have parasites or be impacted. After trying for 30 minutes or so to soak him at the vets for a feces sample, they took him back and gave him an enema. They weren't able to retrieve a big enough sample, but the next day i returned with one on my own. The parasite test came back negative, although the vet recommended continuing his meds since his 'Gi tract could still be upset'. The meds he's currently on right now are Meloxicam, Metronidazole, and milk thislte/dandilian/ginger. He's also receiving 7ml twice daily of Emeraid due to his inability to eat on his own. I'm also giving him water by syringe to help with dehydration.

Has anyone ever delt with something like this before? Is there anything I can do to help him further? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

How old is your dragon? Five
How long have you had your dragon? Five years
How long is your dragon? 24 in
What is the sex of your dragon? Male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 40 gallons
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? stone, paper
Do you use UVB lights? yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Compact
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Zoo med 10-w
How old is your UVB bulb? Three months
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? About 14in or so
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Yes, white bulb, 10-w
What are the basking temps? 85
What is the cool side temp? 70
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Temp gun and wire w/ probe
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Greens, kale, meal worms, clover, mustard greens, etc
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? morning, afternoon
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 (daily)
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Used to, no longer is
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Once a day, increased due to medical needs
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? No misting, but water is offered
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Yes
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267 Please read
Next please ditch the coil UVB this is a issue w/ the pooping - he has quit eating because he cannot abosrb/ synthesize the calcium hes eating-- UVB has everything to do w/ this and the coils are NO good please get this instead you can try your local pet stores but most only carry the T 8 hoods/ w/ bulbs for your size tank you need this a 24" Zoo Med hood and a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb and I would get it ASAP --- please watch your dragon closely after having the enema we dont recommend them as it can end in disastrous results -- my go to places are out of stock on these UVB hoods so I recommend you look on Amazon ASAP and get it ordered ---- or try you local petstores DO NOT listen to them as far as UVB's and try and sell you something different --- you need what I posted please --
Karrie

tucip

Original Poster
I will update his UVB ASAP! I had no idea that the coils offered so little UVB.

What side effects from the enema should i be looking for? Did the vet give him improper treatment, then? I plan on visiting another vet for a second opinion this week - is there anything I can do for him until then?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you read the article? Watch for black bearding - sometimes they paralyze them that would be notice able- any odd behavior lethargic etc-- here is a website to find another vet http://www.arav.org
I would get your uvb changed out then go from there you will notice a difference in his behavior
Karrie

tucip

Original Poster
His beard has been black for many days now - even before the enema was administered. He's lethargic, although he's moving and swimming when soaking. Will changing his lighting solve the vomiting as well?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Possibly remains to be scene but w/ the improper uvb your dragon is sick and getting sicker- I need Tracie our vet tech mod to weigh in on the meds-- she's on late at night I will flag your post
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, how is your dragon doing?
We definitely do not recommend enemas, because most of the time they are not successful.
Is he still black bearding?
For now, he should be kept a little warmer overnight, to help boost his system. Have you been
able to get any food into him?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom