My Beardie seems very ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I see some pellets in her enclosure - did she eat those? I know from experience that they cause diarrhea because of how much oil is in them lol. Baytril is hard on their digestive tracts though since antibiotics kill everything good and bad.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Also here is the info sheet that should come with Baytril prescriptions. I’m shocked that it’s not common for vets to print out info sheets for patients, this is supposed to be given to all owners with this prescription. Make sure to keep giving fluids and that gastrointestinal issues are totally normal for this drug:
full

(I don’t know how common kidney crystals are in lizards, but since your pet has diarrhea you should consider offering fluids. They will drink if they want to. Don’t force water into them, they can aspirate. A thirsty animal will drink, trust me.)

Sorry that the picture is blurry, here is the sheet link: http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/documents/pharmacy-enrofloxacin.pdf

Eboyd203

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":p271bz80 said:
Also here is the info sheet that should come with Baytril prescriptions. I’m shocked that it’s not common for vets to print out info sheets for patients, this is supposed to be given to all owners with this prescription. Make sure to keep giving fluids and that gastrointestinal issues are totally normal for this drug:
full

(I don’t know how common kidney crystals are in lizards, but since your pet has diarrhea you should consider offering fluids. They will drink if they want to. Don’t force water into them, they can aspirate. A thirsty animal will drink, trust me.)

Sorry that the picture is blurry, here is the sheet link: http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/documents/pharmacy-enrofloxacin.pdf
Omg I’m so confused as to what to do now. It seems the antibiotic may cause more issues than help. I also was giving the carnivore care the right after giving the antibiotic. Omg I really need help here

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, is the beard darkened right now?
Can you read or post the ingredients of the carnivore care here, so I can see what is in it?
Some of these formulas have genetically modified ingredients in them which can affect their
health.
Have you been able to keep her hydrated?

Tracie

Eboyd203

Original Poster
Drache613":3d70m53k said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, is the beard darkened right now?
Can you read or post the ingredients of the carnivore care here, so I can see what is in it?
Some of these formulas have genetically modified ingredients in them which can affect their
health.
Have you been able to keep her hydrated?

Tracie
Her eyes again this morning were sealed. I opened then and cleaned then put the honey mix in them both. Her beard isn’t too dark below is the picture of the ingredients. Also she made a bowel movement yesterday and it was soupy like how the carnivore mix is, it literally looked just like the mix I made to give her, it just smelled bad. I’ve been soaking her and when giving the the carnivore care I have mix with water.

85570-4988842360.jpg

Eboyd203

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":294p3zen said:
I see some pellets in her enclosure - did she eat those? I know from experience that they cause diarrhea because of how much oil is in them lol. Baytril is hard on their digestive tracts though since antibiotics kill everything good and bad.

No she hasnt ate any of the pellets, i had put some inside her enclosure to see if she would be she really like them but she hasn’t consumed any

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
The carnivore care has calcium and other minerals in it which will inactivate the baytril if they are in the same digestive compartment together at the same time. (You want the baytril to be active so the infection gets cleared.) You need to give the antibiotic and have her bask under her heat for at least 30 minutes before giving the carnivore care so the baytril is one step ahead of the food in the digestive tract. If she gets sick and throws up then you should give the baytril along with some baby food to help ease her stomach next time.
Back in 2014 I had bronchitis while I was on vacation in Sanibel and one of the antibiotics I was on made me suddenly feel very ill and I remember running to the bathroom and having horrific diarrhea. I took the antibiotic and ate a cheeseburger from five guys and I learned that I was never supposed to mix dairy (cheeseburger) with Zithromax (or something like that)?. Sometimes those guides are confusing but they could save us grief and shenanigans ahead of time lol.

Edit; sorry, I looked it up, it was ciprofloxacin that had me having digestive issues lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, it is a good idea to give medications apart from food or other supplements so they don't
have to compete with each other.
The ingredients on the food supplement look pretty good. How is your dragon liking the food
supplement? She doesn't like the pellets though? A lot of them do & some of them don't. You
could soak the pellets in water or apple juice to soften them & give them a bit of flavor.
How do her eyes look?

Tracie

Eboyd203

Original Poster
Drache613":1mkatrsv said:
Hello,

Yes, it is a good idea to give medications apart from food or other supplements so they don't
have to compete with each other.
The ingredients on the food supplement look pretty good. How is your dragon liking the food
supplement? She doesn't like the pellets though? A lot of them do & some of them don't. You
could soak the pellets in water or apple juice to soften them & give them a bit of flavor.
How do her eyes look?

Tracie
She still isn’t eating and I’ve stopped the carnivore care because I was told to because if the diarrhea. I have since taken her to a exotic vet on this past Friday, they did blood work and said to stop the antibiotic and to buy bene-bac because he believed that the antibiotic got rid of the healthy bacteria in her gut. I just got the bene-bac gel today and I was able to feed her some. The doctor call me back today (Saturday) saying everything seemed okay but her white blood count was extremely HIGH & that I need to start the antibiotic again. He wants me to come in tomorrow and said be will prescribe a antibiotic injection and also due to the blood work showing dehydration some injections to hydrate her. I’m so lost in this because I’m really concerned with her not eating and then taking all these meds. Has anyone heard of these steps?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
Have you been able to get any food into her today?
Does he feel she has an infection to the point where she needs more antibiotics?
If she is not doing well being on the antibiotics, it might be a good idea to give a little break
from it for awhile to see if her demeanor improves. Giving the benebac gel daily can also
help her too. Try to give some oral fluids daily if she is dehydrated right now, using a plastic
dropper or plastic syringe.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Eboyd203

Original Poster
Drache613":29itnidq said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
Have you been able to get any food into her today?
Does he feel she has an infection to the point where she needs more antibiotics?
If she is not doing well being on the antibiotics, it might be a good idea to give a little break
from it for awhile to see if her demeanor improves. Giving the benebac gel daily can also
help her too. Try to give some oral fluids daily if she is dehydrated right now, using a plastic
dropper or plastic syringe.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

85570-1960390350.jpg

We just came back from the vet. Today
Thank god her eyes weren’t sealed this morning all after only 2 days of using the terramycin that stuff is like magic so much better than they eye drops originally gave by the er vet. Today at the Vet they went over the blood work results (posted above) . The vet said her white blood count is very high which indicates a infection and also her red blood cells are on the high end and advised she is also dehydrated. He now changed her antibiotic to Fortaz which is a 3cc injection every 3 days. He gave her one today and showed me how to give the others. He premesured the needles for me and said keep them in the freezer and when I am to give it to her run it under warm warm just before injecting. I found that part strange because I dont want to inject something cold into her. He also in the office gave her subq which he said was like saline and put it under her skin he said it will help with the dehydration. He said the subq should last 1 week. I’m not sure if this is true or not. He said that after 1 week come back. He told me to also continue to force feed the carnivore care daily and the bene bac gel. Can you please give guidance as if this is an appropriate regimen and if I need to return in 1 week to the vet , I just dont want to be in a situation like others ive seen where the vet just wants to take your money for unnecessary visits

Do you mind also explaining what the high items from the blood work mean, he didn’t really explain (Ex: Heterophils, azurophilic Monocytes, globulin, urea nitrogen)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? That's great her eyes are better today! The terramycin is highly
effective so I'm happy to hear that worked well for her.
That is correct to keep the Fortaz in the freezer, but you can set one of the premeasured
syringes out for a bit, daily, to get it to room temperature before giving that to her. Did he
show you how to give the shot to her & the placement? Did you mean .3ml on the amount?
The subcutaneous liquid should last awhile, probably about a week.
Is she cooperating with eating the carnivore care? What was the vet going to do for treatment
in a week or so, just more subcutaneous fluids, etc?
The bloodwork is overall not too bad, just a few values are off. The WBC/monocytes are high
due to her fighting some type of infection. They increase when infection is present so hopefully
those levels will drop. The regular monocyte count looks good but the azurophils monocyte count
is elevated during bacterial infections. Hopefully the levels will normalize with the medication
round.
The urea nitrogen is essentially in the same classification of renal or kidney function readings. It
is determining the health of the kidneys & it isn't too much off but a little bit & the uric acid levels
are just slightly elevated. She could possibly be a little dehydrated which can definitely cause
those readings to be off to some extent.
The heterophils are another value in the white blood count readings. These levels essentially
are elevated during sepsis or necrosis. So, if her kidneys are causing toxins to build up in her
system that can elevate readings.
The globulin readings are simply antibodies in protein that are responsible for fighting disease.
Those levels should decrease once the body's immune system is in check & not having to fight
an infection of some type.
The calcium levels are good & the ratios to the phosphorus is relatively normal. The phosphorus
could come up a little but I wouldn't really worry too much about the ratios as they should level
out once the infection is cleared up.

I hope she feels better soon!

Tracie

Eboyd203

Original Poster
Drache613":34qi1t83 said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? That's great her eyes are better today! The terramycin is highly
effective so I'm happy to hear that worked well for her.
That is correct to keep the Fortaz in the freezer, but you can set one of the premeasured
syringes out for a bit, daily, to get it to room temperature before giving that to her. Did he
show you how to give the shot to her & the placement? Did you mean .3ml on the amount?
The subcutaneous liquid should last awhile, probably about a week.
Is she cooperating with eating the carnivore care? What was the vet going to do for treatment
in a week or so, just more subcutaneous fluids, etc?
The bloodwork is overall not too bad, just a few values are off. The WBC/monocytes are high
due to her fighting some type of infection. They increase when infection is present so hopefully
those levels will drop. The regular monocyte count looks good but the azurophils monocyte count
is elevated during bacterial infections. Hopefully the levels will normalize with the medication
round.
The urea nitrogen is essentially in the same classification of renal or kidney function readings. It
is determining the health of the kidneys & it isn't too much off but a little bit & the uric acid levels
are just slightly elevated. She could possibly be a little dehydrated which can definitely cause
those readings to be off to some extent.
The heterophils are another value in the white blood count readings. These levels essentially
are elevated during sepsis or necrosis. So, if her kidneys are causing toxins to build up in her
system that can elevate readings.
The globulin readings are simply antibodies in protein that are responsible for fighting disease.
Those levels should decrease once the body's immune system is in check & not having to fight
an infection of some type.
The calcium levels are good & the ratios to the phosphorus is relatively normal. The phosphorus
could come up a little but I wouldn't really worry too much about the ratios as they should level
out once the infection is cleared up.

I hope she feels better soon!

Tracie

Hi,
Yesterday I had her food set out and a few of those red pellets and out of no where I heard her crunching on the pellets. I immediately through a few more in there and she ate them. I then ran out to the store and got some wax worms and horn worms. When I returned i placed 3 horn worms on her kale and she ate 1 and grabbed some kale while doing so. I didn’t give any carnivore care yesterday do to her getting some of her appetite back. Maybe today I will give her some if you recommend, the last time I gave the carnivore care i was force feeding it but stopped due to her bowl movement being the same of what the mix looked like and fowl odor. Is that normal? Do you remember I being giving it again if she isn’t eating much?
Also should I stop using the terramycin since her eyes are back to normal?
Thank you for explaining the blood work
Yesterday i also gave more of the benebac gel
The vet asked us to come back in a week and he said he will probably take more blood work didn’t say much else.
Yes they showed me how to pull her arm back and inject the shot in between her scales. I recorded how.
Today I sat out her food and some wax worms to see how she will do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom