Hydration Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Figment's urates have been a bit hard lately, so I'm trying to find a way to get more hydration going on. He does not drink from the bath, nor from a syringe dropping blips on his nose, and he's been eating less than usual of his salads and veggies... I think this last is why I'm seeing a change in urates, combined with the fact that he's been going a week-plus between poos.

I can get him to drink water from a syringe if it's mixed with a little bit of white grape juice. If I try the same thing with plain water, he shakes his head and turns away. I can also get him to eagerly accept organic squash baby food, which is water-rich.

1) About how much water or liquid should I be trying to get into him per day?
2) Which is the better option - water with a bit of white grape juice, or baby food? Or neither?
3) Is it worth it to try to bring in some water-rich worms like hornworms for a while?

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Your ideas for hydrating your guy are good. I prefer to go the least sugary route so I'd say hornworms would be best if he likes those. It probably won't take a whole lot of hornworms to hydrate him. One a day depending on the size would suffice for hydration. If he likes the squash baby food that works well too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree feed him a horn worm a day --- or two -- it will hydrate him --- Hiccup hates baths too but I have been having to give him a bath about every other day I just got some horn worms in yesterday and I am feeding him those now - hes hasnt been eating anything really either - he is concerned w/ being out and driving me nuts w/ the glass surfing --- he doesnt normally drink from a bath but has been lately --- so I am hoping the hydration thing will correct w/ the baths and horn worms
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Mist/spray the salad when you give it and I agree with hornworms. Giving them involuntary baths wont do anything but stress them worse which can likely cause them to eat even less etc . Baths don't hydrate them. They can go awhile in between poos that's normal what isn't normal is to bathe them and give them irregular patterns of having to be submerged in water to be able to pass stool isn't good nor is it good to put a beardie in water while has just defecated and they're a desert species they dont need awhile lot of water they get most of that from the food they eat and when they defecate they have dry urates to salvage what little water they can it's normal for poops to look weird just know your animal watch for activity etc feed your bugs some veggies before you feed them to your beardie. Baby food has alot of preservatives and sugar in it it's very processed I would not go crazy with it usually for juveniles who isn't eating great or for sick beardie and for the juice its highly sugary and almost no fiber in it so I'd hold off on the juice try to find some Bee Pollen maybe that will give him more of a appetite and more craving to eat . I'd try to mist her salad it will not only last longer but will give her some water intake aswell . I've fed my girl minnows before and she was more intrested in the water at that point and the meal itself was good in water and protein and plus she got a few licks of water and alot of mental stimulation . Minnows can be fed other fish can be too maybe guppies. Snails would also be good for hydration but I can find those around me haha minnows would work but those are a blue moon treat hornworms will do the trick in a week tops

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":vmjzcc0g said:
I agree feed him a horn worm a day --- or two -- it will hydrate him --- Hiccup hates baths too but I have been having to give him a bath about every other day I just got some horn worms in yesterday and I am feeding him those now - hes hasnt been eating anything really either - he is concerned w/ being out and driving me nuts w/ the glass surfing --- he doesnt normally drink from a bath but has been lately --- so I am hoping the hydration thing will correct w/ the baths and horn worms

Figment has been going through that "I NEED OUTTA THIS BOX" frenzies, too... lots of glass surfing, really wanting OUT all the time! The goofball skitters around the room and tries to climb anything he can get his claws into. He's been jumping down from the places he climbs, too, which I don't like... this is new, daredevil behavior, and I worry that he may hurt himself, so I'm not willing to take him out unless I can keep my eyes on him the whole time. I feel better knowing that Hiccup is going through the same thing! Just ordered my hornworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom