Facts You Should Know Before Getting a Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need any help with beardies? Post a question on this page! These are some facts you NEED to know before getting a beardie (and things you should know anyways)!

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
What hides should you use? I prefer medium logs (about 12 inches long by 6 inches high) for my beardie. It is his main hide but he does have another, but is mostly a basking spot and he can’t fully fit under it. One hide should be enough, but 2 is fine as well.

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
There should be 2 sides in the aquarium that you use for feeding. I prefer to do this, but you don’t have to. One side is for the ‘meat’ (crickets, super worms, etc) and one for vegetables (lettuce, blueberries, carrots). I have three bowls in his aquarium, one for fruits, veggies, one for dried foods which we hardly give him anymore, and one for water. When preparing the food, make sure it is the right size. Make sure bugs are rights size for your beardie, and make sure th fruits and veggies are too. Cut the veggies up until they are good size. For fruits, it is the same.

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
When decorating the aquarium, use at least one plant (can be fake or real, but keep in mind that real ones need water), and a few small rocks. Make sure these rocks aren’t heated ones, because those can burn your beardies. Include at least one hide and one basking spot. DO NOT use sand, or any grained substrate as it can impact your beardie. Some people are against repti-carpet, but I have had no problems with it. You can also use rock tiles.

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
Make sure to include two sides, a heated side and a cooled side. Heated side is where your basking spot should be, and hides can be placed anywhere around the aquarium. You should have a ceramic night lamp for colder nights as well. Your heat lamp should be between 95 and 110 degrees, and the cooled should be 80-90. I have had no problems with this setup, and so many others use it too.

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
Giving them baths shouldn’t be too difficult. Make sure the water is deep enough so they can be a little under the water, but not anything over their shoulders. It should be pretty warm, but not too hot. You can give them baths once or twice a week. It also relives them of stress, and relaxes them.

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
You can tell when your beardie is happy. They will be moving around, perking up when they hear or see you, and will have no stress marks. Stress marks are the darkening of their beards if they are stressed. Do not worry if they aren’t running around during brumation, this is normal. Brumation is where they slow down their body so much during winter. For more info on brumation, check out the brumation section on this post.

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
I get this a lot... what should I avoid doing? Well, it’s simple. DO NOT use heated rocks, as they can burn your beardie. Don’t use grained bedding either, because they can ingest this and get an impaction. Don’t feed wild insects that you get from your yard or outside, because they could be poisonous, or could have been sprayed with toxic pesticides. Only feed foods you know will not harm your beardie, such as store bought crickets and super worms, and cleaned lettuce or blueberries. For more info on feeding, check out the feeding section on this post.

TimmyDragon

Original Poster
In brumation, beardies will sleep a lot more than usual, they won’t eat unless offered food ( which you shouldn’t do during brumation ), and don’t move around to much. This occurs during the winter. If your beardie doesn’t come out of brumation the way it should ( if it is really warm and they still aren’t out ) take them to a vet as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom