concerns about my beardie's tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello! ive been trying to look around for info about a strange lump on my bearded dragon, Valor's, tail, but i cant find anything, so ive come here to see if any of you can help calm my worries.

around the middle of last november, Valor developed a small lump in the middle of his tail. he was 3 months, nearly 4 months old then, and this is what it looked like:
full

i kept an eye on it, and nothing really changed until a week or two ago, when i noticed it had grown? and so this is what it looked like today(january 22nd).
full

full

so. what is this tail lump, and should i be worried?

i'll give you a run-down on my husbandry, because im fairly certain i'm doing everything as correctly as i can.

Valor has a Reptisun T8 10.0 UVB. tube light, not coil. i got it at the beginning of august when Valor was gifted to me, and i believe i read that T8's need to be changed every 6 months instead of ever year, so i will be buying Valor a new UVB at the beginning of febuary.
there are two places he can sit under the UVB- and i just measured these to ensure i was correct. his hammock, directly underneath the bulb, is 6 inches from the light fixture, no screen in between the bulb at all, it's inside his cage. his second sitting spot is about 7 and a half inches from the UVB.

His cool side temps are usually 75, hot side is about 80-85, and his basking spot, measured with an infrared thermometer, is 105 and occasionally a little hotter than that(maybe 108 at max).

he lives in a 55 gallon tank.

Valor's staple insect is Black Soldier Fly Larvae, and he will eat 60+ a day. i use calcium powder 4 days of the week, and vitamin powder 2 days of the week. Valor eats collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens with his BSFL, and he usually eats about half of the amount of the greens that i give him just by trying to eat the worms out of his salad. he's a really good eater and ive also introduced him to Pallid Roaches which i am currently trying to breed, and he loves those.

he gets a bath twice a week, and i dont usually mist him or offer water in his cage because humidity here is usually very high so his humidity in his cage is usually 30 - 45 depending on the day. i dont want to up the humidity too much by misting him but i rinse his greens so he gets water that way, because he usually doesnt like to drink while in the bath.

his poop looks healthy to me, not that smelly, and he poops once a day.

he's currently 205 grams and 16 inches, and he'll be 7 months old in a week.

so. is the tail lump an issue that i need to deal with, or is it okay?? i really just want to make sure this isnt something serious. Valor is such a good boy, very active, alert, loves to lick your hand, and i really love him and want the best for him.

thank you so much in advance if you read all this!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please do not dust the BSFL -- they are calcium enriched - no other insects being fed? I thought maybe he had gotten biten by a cricket but none are mentioned -- we need Tracie or AHBD to take a look
Karrie

VaingloriousValor

Original Poster
thank you Karrie!
my bad for dusting them!! i'll make sure i lay off the calcium dusting for the BSFL right away. BSFL are his only staple currently, and when i feed him the occasional roach, i hand-feed it to him, no bug has ever remained in his tank to bite him.

i appreciate the reply!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not sure what that is, maybe a cyst or abscess but it's probably best to have a qualified reptile vet see it. BTW, I would still dust the bsfl 2 X a week lightly to be on the safe side, especially since you use a t8 bulb. Hope you get an answer about his tail and that it's something easy to treat !

VaingloriousValor

Original Poster
thank you both very much- that sounds worrisome. i'll see what i can do about finding a vet, i hope it wont get worse while i try to see what i can do regarding a vet because i dont yet have my driver's license haha!

and i'll do as you suggested and still dust the BSFL twice a week! i really appreciate the help, truly!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That can be concerning, just looking at the pictures. I have seen a couple of dragons here on
site with issues like your dragons. It will most likely be some type of cyst or abscess & hopefully
it isn't a tumor. Do you have a vet you can take him to?

Tracie

VaingloriousValor

Original Poster
i'll see what i can do about getting him to a vet that treats reptiles.

he's continued to act just as normal and active today as he usually is. i really hope it isnt a tumor. i felt it again this morning and it feels like it's a combination of two small lumps. it's also not very squishy or soft, it's pretty firm. Valor also isnt bothered by me feeling and squeezing it

Birdy

Hatchling Member
Hi,
I have a bearded dragon with the same thing, same place even. She has had this bump for about 4 years now and I've been to five different reptile vets for it. First make them do bloodwork, for some reason the vets I've been to were funny about drawing blood, and if at the last vet I hadn't made them do bloodwork there were things we wouldn't have known. Watch for red flags, and misinformation and how you and your beardie feel at the vet you are visiting. I don't enjoy having to pick apart the vets and try to make sure that my point and concerns are heard and treated for but sadly it's something that you have to do. Second don't let them blow you off, the very first vet I went to blew it off, did zero testing and said she's fine. I guess technically that is true but I don't know how much it's affected her body. If I could go back I would've insisted more testing and had it amputated then. Probably.
So to re-cap on Liz's past history.
Late 2016:
First vet said she's fine.
2017:
Second, took x-rays, tried to draw blood couldn't get anything and they seemed uncertain.
2018:
Third, looked at her bump didn't know.
Late 2019:
Fourth, took X-rays and the bone had been eaten away, they took a sample from the bump but did not do bloodwork, I tried to urge them to but they didn't. They wanted to amputate without further testing. So we went and got a second opinion.
Late 2019-early 2020:
Fifth, they already had the x-rays from the previous vet, they did an ultrasound, and I urged them to take blood, and finally we got the results. Her calcium levels were very high and she said that Liz has liver disease (not fatty liver disease just liver disease). The vet suspected that she wouldn't recover from surgery due to her liver. So basically we took the meds she recommended for Liz that seemed like Hospice for a bearded dragon.
Now, I never gave her the meds because I was worried about how it would affect her system and I decided against the surgery. Even though her bump has grown over the last several years, she is still alive eating, drinking, no black beard, and seems happy. I don't regret not doing anything.
My point is the vets don't always know, I mean the vet thought she was going to die! It's been over a year now and she's still doing pretty good. She turned 8 years old in December.
But I'm not saying it's a waste of time either, some things were helpful.
Well these are my posts here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232588
^ This was my first post
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=252504
^This is my second
Not all the information (the bloodwork sheet, new x-rays etc) is there if you have questions just ask :wink:
Hope this helps!
Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom