Newer Bearded Dragon Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otrobison

I used to own a juvenile bearded dragon named Ra, about 2 years ago but unfortunately had to surrender him to a friend of mine who owns many reptiles because I was starting college and didn't have the time necessary to take care of him (He's doing great btw!) But I have recently graduated and wanted to adopt a new bearded dragon since I now have the time needed to care for one so I ended up adopting a baby beardie from a local breeder an associate at a retail pet store told me about a couple months back that she had used for her bearded dragon. The breeder told me some details about what they feed their babies and some of the characteristics of him like how he loves his hammock that he was enclosed with, so I just had to buy him the exact same one since he loved it so much and I figured it would help him acclimate.

However its been 3 days now and he seems a little lethargic and low energy. I have a cricket farm where I breed crickets for my other reptiles at home and he takes 0 interest when i try to feed him crickets with vitamin powder (vitamin and d3) or any of the veggies I set out for him daily. Thankfully he has pooped once and I have gotten him to lick some water I had lightly sprayed on his mouth so he has been drinking but he seems a bit skinny and I think he needs to eat soon. I was wondering if there were any tips anyone could provide to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are some pictures and some lighting info and such below:

20g aquarium
75w basking bulb (basking area gets about 97F-104F degrees, I use a high tech laser thermometer)
10.0 reptisun UVB Fluorescent lamp bulb and and hood
He has a cold and warm hide
Heating pad under warm hide for night time (Gets around 96F-101F degrees)
Repti-Carpet
Water and Salad dish
I also have all the lights on a timer and they are on about 13 hours a day

98973-5354252211.jpg
98973-8970761969.jpg
98973-6481357133.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your UVB is a coil type going longways in the fixture? If it is you need to replace it ASAP-- you want a long tube hood w/ reflector and I would recommend getting a 24" since your going to need to upgrade the tank anyway --- I would get the UVB now - you can use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the hood now on the 20 gallon tank -- it would be perfect for the 20 gallon --- him not eating is not good - he is going thru relocation stress which is normal BUT he should be eating something -- w/ the way its positioned on the tank now is not doing any good - the screen is blocking the UVB rays 30% -- I recommend you get the UVB ASAP --- here is a place to get what I am talking about these people are good and fast never mind they are out of stock AGAIN--- they cant keep these hoods in stock --- try Amazon or petmountain for the hood etc --- you will need to upgrade the bulb to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 when you go to the larger tank ---
Karrie

Otrobison

Original Poster
KarrieRee":12u3wgn6 said:
Your UVB is a coil type going longways in the fixture? If it is you need to replace it ASAP-- you want a long tube hood w/ reflector and I would recommend getting a 24" since your going to need to upgrade the tank anyway --- I would get the UVB now - you can use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the hood now on the 20 gallon tank -- it would be perfect for the 20 gallon --- him not eating is not good - he is going thru relocation stress which is normal BUT he should be eating something -- w/ the way its positioned on the tank now is not doing any good - the screen is blocking the UVB rays 30% -- I recommend you get the UVB ASAP --- here is a place to get what I am talking about these people are good and fast never mind they are out of stock AGAIN--- they cant keep these hoods in stock --- try Amazon or petmountain for the hood etc --- you will need to upgrade the bulb to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 when you go to the larger tank ---
Karrie

I actually just got back from the store and I was able to get a 24" hood and 22" 10.0 reptisun long flourescent bulb! Thank you so much! If he continues not to eat i'll keep you updated. Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the hood did it come w/ a 5.0 bulb ? You want to use that on the 20 gallon tank -- it must be unobstructed so take the screen off and the basking distance should be 6-8 inches directly above it ---
Karrie

Otrobison

Original Poster
KarrieRee":169fxh1x said:
Ok the hood did it come w/ a 5.0 bulb ? You want to use that on the 20 gallon tank -- it must be unobstructed so take the screen off and the basking distance should be 6-8 inches directly above it ---
Karrie

Yes it came with a 5.0, I purchased a 10.0 as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so set the UVB up w/ no screen approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- hang onto.to your T 5 bulb
Karrie

Otrobison

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fxizma4 said:
Ok so set the UVB up w/ no screen approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- hang onto.to your T 5 bulb
Karrie

How can I set up the lights without a screen? Any tips?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can put the UVB on width wise on one end of the tank then take the screen and set it up to the UVB like butt it up to it then take the basking light and set it on top of the screen - here is a pic of my 20 gallon when I got Blaze --
97951-9562450009.jpg
My basking bulb was clamped on the very end - you can do the same if you have a clamp- the light hanging over the tank was my CHE - I used it maybe once or twice at nite for Blaze since he was so little -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom