When do dragons transfer to more plant matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slawson

Hi guys!

Gobi is growing nicely, I assume he’s about 6 months old. Picture of him at most current weigh in. He is seeming a little less interested in his bugs lately, but has been eating all of his salad most days. So my question, when do u start offering less bugs? And how many times a week do u feed bugs when that time comes. Any information regarding this is highly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Hope 2021 is treating u well.
109334-4056029860.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's great that he is eating his salads. That will help him get plenty of nutrients. I would continue to offer salads every day, but also a feeding of bugs every day for now. He is still not fully grown at 346g. They usually reach full size between 18-24 months, but it varies. Same goes for the feeding schedule. Once they are fully grown, they need less protein but this is a gradual change and varies between dragons. I usually recommend cutting back on bugs slowly between about 12-18 months. At 12 months maybe offer bugs every other day, then every third day etc. This is certainly not a set in stone rule, but an opinion and general suggestion based on my experience. I give my adult a bug meal once or twice a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) depending on his mood and appetite. He eats his veges every day and is nice and healthy. Sometimes if I have treats like hornworms or BSFL on hand I'll give him a few every day as treats while they are on hand. Others will have different experience and suggestions that are certainly worth taking into consideration and applying to your situation.

Slawson

Original Poster
Thank you for the info! Super useful. How does he look to you? Healthy? Weight ok for a six month old?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It try to get my bearded dragon onto some shredded greens and finely chopped veg from the getgo as hatchlings ( in that these are always available in their rearing tub as hatchlings ). If they eat any it this stage I regard is as a bonus.

I slowly move to more greens ( in particular ) + chopped veg as they mature ( mostly from their 1st BD ) , but again I don't obsess over any lack of interest if they turn their noses up at greens and veg because my live insect staples when my dragons are young include
> gut loaded crickets ( same greens and same vegs )
> BSFL
> silkworms ( raised on mulberry leafs )
so I know they are getting all the vits, minerals they need.
As my dragons become subadults ( 18 months - 30 months ) I move to live insects every other day with greens and veg alterative days , and I allow one day of fasting per week.
ie

Fasting ,
V
then bugs ,
V
then greens & veg ,
V
then bugs ,
V
then greens & veg and recycle ^ again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom