Bearded dragon breathing heavy/popping noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob1289

My bearded dragon Nika is an adult that I raised, she lives in a 75 gal enclosure with 95-105 degree temps on the hot side and 70-75 on the cool side. She has meat on her bones, eats well, and is full of life. I’ve owned her 4 years now, and for the past two years, she’s been breathing heavy constantly, and making popping noises. In some cases after drinking water or eating, she even makes a coughing noise. I feed her greens, super worms, meal worms, horn worms, crickets, etc. she gets calcium d3 4 times a week and vitamins 2 times. She is very well taken care of, with a clean enclosure and she lives in my room with me next to a window with good sunlight. What I’m trying to say is, she has it all. I have been frustrated for years about this because I’ve poured so much money into her with vet bills that ended up being nothing in concern with this issue. I’ve seen 3 different reptile vets. The last one I saw was a little under a year ago, and I paid $1,200 for an X-ray, blood test, and bacteria flush. Her results were near perfect, and the vet said her blood test results were great. He didn’t find any evidence of a respiratory infection, but he did say there was a small spot somewhere in her lungs that isn’t concerning, but would need surgery in order to find out what it is. He ended up prescribing her baytril which is an antibiotic for any infections that may be present. She was on that for two weeks and it did nothing. That is all I know, and it kills me because it’s still unknown what it is. Hopefully someone experienced can reply to this and help me out because I have no idea what it is. I’m starting to think she’s just weird and breathes differently. Please help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the UVB brand and bulb --- where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? The lighting in the tank controls the behavior and over all health of the dragon if these things are incorrect they can get sick --- NO COIL UVB'S NO COLORED BULBS PLEASE
Karrie

Jacob1289

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1f2uk19l said:
Please go over the UVB brand and bulb --- where in the tank is it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? The lighting in the tank controls the behavior and over all health of the dragon if these things are incorrect they can get sick --- NO COIL UVB'S NO COLORED BULBS PLEASE
Karrie

Reptisun 10.0 T5 tube light that covers 90% of her cage, this is placed on top of the cage and has great coverage. I change it every 6 months. Bask temps are 95-105 and I have a digital inferred thermometer to check this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type--- ? I would invest in a digital probe thermometer as well --- sometimes certain materials throw temps off w/ the IR gun -- so its good to have on hand ---

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB on top should be good - is the distance 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece-- I am assuming it is --ok so since we got the UVB not being a issue we need to have Tracie our vet tech mod on here respond --- shes going to have more insight as to what is going on and since Nika was put on Baytril and it did nothing something else is going on here -- what is the humidity in the tank? Tracie would be asking all these questions so its good she has the info
Tracie is on at nite ---

Jacob1289

Original Poster
Ok good to know, and I actually don’t know what the humidity is. I don’t keep a water bowl in there, and my room is fairly dry though because I have a dehumidifier in here. I don’t have a way to check

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
please invest in a hygrometer -- place it on the center back wall of the tank -- humidity levels are important to keep track of -- you dont want it to dry in the tank and you dont want too much humidity --- too dry can cause RI
Karrie

Jacob1289

Original Poster
I will look for one, and how do I keep it between dry and not dry? Because I’ve always heard not to keep water inside because it creates too much moisture.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
First you need to get a reading of what it is then we can go from there--- you dont want it over 70% and an average is 30-40% -- it can drop down to 20% anything lower I would be putting a water dish in the tank on the basking side --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes record on YouTube then post the link in your message box
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom