Odd head movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sitting here watching my beardie after a feeding and a few times I've noticed she does this odd head movement. Not a head bob, this seems involuntary but it isn't a random twitch either. It's like short quick almost unnoticeable up and down motion that seems to go with what I imagine her heartbeat would be. She just stopped actually, it's usually only for a couple minutes. Should I be concerned or is this her digesting? I have no idea.
She's about 12 weeks, I dust her crickets with calcium+D3 once a day, the two other feedings are dust free. She eats salad about twice a day. Her poo seems a bit softer than usual but she JUST started really eating salad this passed week or so, so I'm guessing the poo thing is the diet change. Any thoughts are welcome!

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
109981-8863706276.jpg
Here's her setup. Ignore that the carpet doesn't fit. I just upgraded her house last night ?
I have her basking bulb (ceramic bulb for night) another heat bulb in the middle (my house is drafty)
And the UVB T8 on the left where she basks (I'm saving money to buy a longer one to extend the length of the tank. She usually hangs out in the basking area 95% of the time so I'm not worried)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You dont really need the UVB be the same length of the tank - what size tank are you upgrading to? A 24" hood should be good - I am assuming you have a 18" now? You can use a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank -- you dont want the dragon hiding from the UVB rays -- I am not sure about the twitching your talking about -- I dont think a diet change would cause that kind of behavior -- keep an eye on her it could of been a one time thing -- how old is the UVB bulb?
Karrie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
Yes it's 18" I have it going short ways across the tank so the screen doesnt obstruct the rays but it can still be held up by the tank edges. The bulb is about a month old. I upgraded her from a 40gal 30x12x18 to a 40 breeder which is like twice the size but a little shorter.
She also started doing this weird thing starting last night where when I turn the lights off for bedtime, she goes to the bottom of the tank and crawls under the paper towel. She used to just sleep on her branch under the ceramic heater. She's being weird lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does she have a hide? Also the basking decor needs to be 6-8 inches directly under the UVB - the hood needs to have the cover off for best effects- are you using a Reptisun bulb?
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is the head movement frequent? It could be that she isn't getting strong enough UVB possibly,
or isn't absorbing her calcium perhaps, too.
The light sounds like it is mounted properly, without it having to go through the screen right now.
Is her head shaking or just a slight twitch?

Tracie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
I have the reptisun t8 her basking area is directly under it and her heat lamp. About 6inches away. Temp is 105. She has two hides. She's in a 100 gal tank.
She only does it for like a minute and only after she eats. Usually when I can see the crickets still wriggling in her "neck pouch" ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So your dragon only shakes her head when a cricket is on her head/neck area?
If that is the case, then that would most likely be the cause since it probably bothers her
for that to be on her body.
The tank is great sized & if your light is placed at 6 inches away underneath of the screen
then it shouldn't be caused by a calcium issue! How is her appetite doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom